There’s been quite a bit of chatter the past couple of days about a claim made on the Indian commodities portal CommodityOnline that Austria was imposing restrictions on gold purchases. An article appeared on the website back on September 14 that contained the following:
A newly enacted Gold policy in Austria that restricts the free purchase of gold by individuals may just be the start of a European policy shift that might border on infringing an individual’s financial freedom.
-As per the new Austrian policies, individuals who wish to purchase gold will be restricted to purchase only 15000 Euros worth of gold at a time making gold an officially “restricted” commodity.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Previously, residents and non-residents alike could buy and sell gold in Austria without restriction. The announcement of this new policy is generating concerns that European governments may be embarking on a program to bolster the Euro through restricting acquisitions of precious metals.
The thing is, this “newly enacted Gold policy” may not be policy at all.
Enter Mark Nestmann of The Nestmann Group, Ltd., an international wealth preservation consultancy. Mr. Nestmann also serves as the Tax and Asset Protection editor for The Sovereign Society. He wrote in his blog Mark Nestmann’s Preserving Your Privacy & Wealth today:
An article posted a few days ago on commodityonline.com made a startling claim: the Austrian government had imposed restrictions on gold purchases.
Fortunately, the story is NOT true. I contacted several banks in Austria to find out if they knew anything about the supposedly new policy. They didn’t. As one banker remarked to me:
“Totally erroneous…you can buy as much gold as you want and gain delivery within one working day. There is no distinction made between residents and non-residents.”
In lieu of an Austrian government/banking official coming out and issuing a statement, I find no reason to doubt Nestmann’s findings. This guy knows Austria. Besides being awarded a “Master of Law” (LL.M.) degree in international tax law at the Vienna University School of Economics and Business Administration, he’s the author of a book entitled Austrian Money Secrets and also has an office in Vienna.
By the way, did I mention he’s also a former investigative journalist?
Guess it would seem only natural to someone with his background to verify the claim by contacting several Austrian financial institutions before accepting it as fact.
A good lesson for us all.
“Austria restricts gold purchase by individuals.” CommodityOnline. 14 Sep. 2011. (http://www.commodityonline.com/news/Austria-restricts-gold-purchase-by-individuals-42329-3-1.html). 29 Sep. 2011.
Nestmann, Mark. “Austria Restricts Gold Purchases…NOT.” Mark Nestmann’s Preserving Your Privacy & Wealth. 29 Sep. 2011. (http://nestmann.sovereignsociety.com/2011/09/29/austria-restricts-gold-purchases%E2%80%A6not/). 29 Sep. 2011.
1 Comment to Austria Not Restricting Gold Purchases?
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- IEMA: First-Ever America’s PrepareAthon! To Be Held On April 30
- Go-To Gear For When The Lights Go Out
- Status Of West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System
- Chicago-Area Lakes Hit By Bad Fish Kill
- Chicago Gangs Completely Out Of Control?
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: The Great Northern Prepper’s ‘Prepper Resources’ Page
- JM Bullion 2014 Silver Eagle Special: $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity
- Gallup Poll: U.S. Adults Think Real Estate, Followed By Gold And Stocks, Is Best Long-Term Investment
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…