Illinois Governor Pat Quinn (D) has weighed-in on Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s desire for state lawmakers to approve a statewide handgun registry. According to the Gibson City, Illinois-based WGCY News blog this morning:
Gov. Pat Quinn says he’s ready to listen to the debate over proposed legislation that would require handgun owners statewide to register their weapons…
Quinn says it’s up to lawmakers to decide. “I think it’s important to have the legislature address the issue, you know, and give their wisdom,” Quinn said.
While Mayor Emanuel is targeting handguns, Governor Quinn has his sights set on so-called “assault weapons.” WGCY reported:
Quinn says there are other gun-related matters the state must focus on, such as creating a ban on assault weapons. “Those are things that I think the people of Illinois, by a wide margin, favor and we should keep an eye on those issues,” Quinn said.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
As I noted in late January, three anti-gun bills (House Bills 1294, 1599, and 1855) passed on January 24 in the state’s House Rules Committee and could be voted on at anytime. According to a January 25 alert from the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action, House Bill 1294 “seeks to ban countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns, many parts for them, as well as .50 caliber rifles and ammunition.” House Bill 1599 “would classify countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns as ‘semi-automatic assault weapons,’ and would classify as ‘high capacity ammunition’ any ‘ammunition of .50 or more caliber.’
Coupled with that Super Bowl gun control ad featuring Boston’s Democratic Mayor Thomas Menino (along with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg), one has to wonder if the Democrats have now decided to venture onto that third rail of American politics- gun control- in this crucial election year.
“Putting Football Rivalries Aside, Mayors Unite Against Illegal Guns”
WGCY Newsroom. “Quinn To Hear Debate Over Handgun Registration Law.” WGCYNews.blogspot.com. 10 Feb. 2012. (http://wgcynews.blogspot.com/2012/02/quinn-to-hear-debate-over-handgun.html). 10 Feb. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana