Illinois Governor Pat Quinn (D) has weighed-in on Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s desire for state lawmakers to approve a statewide handgun registry. According to the Gibson City, Illinois-based WGCY News blog this morning:
Gov. Pat Quinn says he’s ready to listen to the debate over proposed legislation that would require handgun owners statewide to register their weapons…
Quinn says it’s up to lawmakers to decide. “I think it’s important to have the legislature address the issue, you know, and give their wisdom,” Quinn said.
While Mayor Emanuel is targeting handguns, Governor Quinn has his sights set on so-called “assault weapons.” WGCY reported:
Quinn says there are other gun-related matters the state must focus on, such as creating a ban on assault weapons. “Those are things that I think the people of Illinois, by a wide margin, favor and we should keep an eye on those issues,” Quinn said.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
As I noted in late January, three anti-gun bills (House Bills 1294, 1599, and 1855) passed on January 24 in the state’s House Rules Committee and could be voted on at anytime. According to a January 25 alert from the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action, House Bill 1294 “seeks to ban countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns, many parts for them, as well as .50 caliber rifles and ammunition.” House Bill 1599 “would classify countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns as ‘semi-automatic assault weapons,’ and would classify as ‘high capacity ammunition’ any ‘ammunition of .50 or more caliber.’
Coupled with that Super Bowl gun control ad featuring Boston’s Democratic Mayor Thomas Menino (along with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg), one has to wonder if the Democrats have now decided to venture onto that third rail of American politics- gun control- in this crucial election year.
“Putting Football Rivalries Aside, Mayors Unite Against Illegal Guns”
WGCY Newsroom. “Quinn To Hear Debate Over Handgun Registration Law.” WGCYNews.blogspot.com. 10 Feb. 2012. (http://wgcynews.blogspot.com/2012/02/quinn-to-hear-debate-over-handgun.html). 10 Feb. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Missing ABC7 I-Team Info About Illinois Concealed Carry Security Breach
- Quote For The Week
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas