Archive for February 13th, 2012
That article on OffGridSurvival.com about David Sarti of Doomsday Prepper-fame brings to mind another piece about mental health that I stumbled on this weekend. In the aftermath of Jared Loughner’s January 8, 2011, attack at a meet-the-public event held outside a Tucson, Arizona, supermarket by then-U.S. Representative Gabrielle Giffords, calls grew to prohibit mentally ill Americans from owning firearms. However, some smart individuals pointed out that the label “mentally ill” can be applied to whatever the powers-that-be want it to be. For example, are you vocal in your disappointment over how the country is being run? Well, you might be declared mentally ill then. By the way, no gun for you. Buh-bye.
And soon, a lot more healthy Americans could be labeled “mentally ill” according to Kate Kelland on Reuters.com last Thursday. The Health and Science Correspondent wrote on February 9:
Millions of healthy people – including shy or defiant children, grieving relatives and people with fetishes – may be wrongly labelled mentally ill by a new international diagnostic manual, specialists said on Thursday.
In a damning analysis of an upcoming revision of the influential Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), psychologists, psychiatrists and mental health experts said its new categories and “tick-box” diagnosis systems were at best “silly” and at worst “worrying and dangerous”.
Some diagnoses – for conditions like “oppositional defiant disorder” and “apathy syndrome” – risk devaluing the seriousness of mental illness and medicalising behaviours most people would consider normal or just mildly eccentric, the experts said…
The DSM is published by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and has descriptions, symptoms and other criteria for diagnosing mental disorders. It is used internationally and is seen as the diagnostic “bible” for mental health medicine.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Disturbingly, Kelland added that the revised DSM might even help criminals avoid prison time. From the piece:
At the other end of the spectrum, the new DSM, due out next year, could give medical diagnoses for serial rapists and sex abusers – under labels like “paraphilic coercive disorder” – and may allow offenders to escape prison by providing what could be seen as an excuse for their behaviour, they added.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Should the push to prohibit mentally ill persons from owning firearms ever gain traction, the alleged expansion of those that can be labeled mentally ill through the revised Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) could lead to large numbers of Americans having their guns confiscated and from being able to purchase firearms. To top it all off, as guns are rounded-up and prevented from being acquired by law-abiding citizens, more bad guys could be on the streets rather than in prison.
Kelland, Kate. “Shyness an illness in “dangerous” health book-experts.” Reuters.com. 9 Feb. 2012. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/09/mental-illness-diagnosis-idUSL5E8D98MX20120209). 13 Feb. 2012.
Last week I blogged about the new National Geographic Channel TV series Doomsday Preppers. Once of the preppers featured in episode 2 was David Sarti, the “Hillbilly Prepper,” who lives outside of Nashville, Tennessee. Sarti says he is “prepping to survive an EMP detonation that will wipe out our nation’s transportation system.”
This weekend I happened to come across a story on the Off Grid Survival website that announced:
Just days after appearing on the National Geographic TV Show Doomsday Prepper, a prepper from Tennessee has been declared Mentally Defective and his guns have been seized by the government. The Prepper, David Sarti is a character to say the least, but his story is somewhat disturbing and should be a wake up call for everyone…
You can read the rest of “Doomsday Prepper Declared Mental Defective…. Government confiscates his Guns” on OffGridSurvival.com here.
These days I try to publish “Signs Of The Time” material sometime around the middle of the week. The following just couldn’t wait. From RT.com on February 10:
When the Belgian government decided to pour cold water on the country’s firefighters and increase their retirement age, the men struck back with the same method… literally.
Several hundred firemen broke through police cordons and hosed down the prime minister’s office. The men, dressed in full gear, were smiling as they directed the water at the building… and the small bunch of police officers huddled in front of it.
“Firefighters vs Cops: Striking fire officers soak PM office in Brussels ”
When I first saw the video I thought I was watching some kind of drill.
Once again, law enforcement gets hosed because of some unpopular decision made by politicians.
But like my girlfriend remarked this weekend when she saw the footage, the police officers are probably next in line to have their retirement screwed around with. Should that be the case, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them escorting the firefighters all the way back to the prime minister’s office.
Along with all the carnage going on in Athens this weekend, I have to wonder if we aren’t seeing a preview of things to come in the United States.
“Striking Brussels firemen soak cops, PM office (VIDEO).” RT.com. 10 Feb. 2012. (http://rt.com/news/firemen-belgium-hose-police-013/). 13 Feb. 2012.
For the time being, in the US our corporate and governmental system backed surprisingly by the Supreme Court has become a plutocracy, designed to prolong, protect and intensify the wealth and influence of those who already have the wealth and influence. What the Occupy movement indicates is that a growing number of people have begun to recognise this in spite of the efficiency of capital’s propaganda machines. Forty years of no pay increase in the US after inflation for the average hour worked should, after all, have that effect. The propaganda is good but not that good.
-Legendary investor and “crash prophet” Jeremy Grantham, in an opinion piece that appeared on the Financial Times (UK) website on February 5, 2012
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Surviving A Nuclear Attack On Washington, D.C.
- While Ebola Grabs The Headlines, Coronavirus Makes A Comeback In The Middle East
- Food Insurance Having Buy One, Get One 60% Off Bug-Out Essentials Sale
- My Patriot Supply Has Great Deals On 6-Month, 1-Year Food Supply Offerings
- CBO: Updated 2014-2024 Budget Projections Show Substantially Rising Budget Shorfalls, Federal Debt
- Trends Analyst: ‘I Think We’re Going To Live More Like A South American Country’
- ‘Criminals Are Victims Of The Evil Capitalist Society’
- Chicago’s Bloody Weekend: 36 Shot, 4 Killed, ‘Lax State And Federal Gun Laws’ Blamed
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: PrepperShowsUSA
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Bankster News on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Ready Nutrition on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…