When I first started Survival And Prosperity back in November 2010, I had a pretty good idea that 2012 would end up being a busy year in prepping/survival circles. In many ways it feels a lot like 1999 again. Although this time around, December 21, 2012, has replaced January 1, 2000, as the big day of concern. And instead of the Y2K bug that could have screwed up life as we know it, it’s the fear that a number of threats could lead to The End Of The World As We Know It, or TEOTWAWKI, that’s got a whole bunch of people worried 13 years later. In addition to the despair over the end of the 5,125-year-long cycle in the Mayan Long Count calendar, there’s true polar wander (generically referred to a polar shift), solar superstorms, economic collapse, the list goes on. Pop culture, TV specials, and the Internet have ensured such threats now register on humanity’s radar. And just like in 1999, the emergency/survival preparedness industry is booming. Perry Chiaramonte wrote on the FOX News website earlier today:
As the date the Mayans predicted the world will end nears, restless ‘Occupy’ hordes rise up and rogue regimes threaten the world with nuclear weapons, one thing is sure: The doomsday business is booming.
From the society’s wealthiest and most powerful class to rural off-the-grid types, people are preparing for the worst, and sparing no expense on elaborate underground shelters, buying years’ worth of non-perishable foods and stockpiling fuel and ammunition. Some have embraced the term “preppers,” although precisely what they are preparing for varies…
It’s an interesting piece. You can read the rest of it on the FOX News website here.
1 Comment to FOX News: The Doomsday Business Is Booming
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: Slickguns.com
- Signs Of The Time, Part 72
- November Jobs Report ‘Rather Sucked’?
- Retired CPD Sergeant And TouchVision Crime Reporter Calls Out Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel And Pals
- Welfare Recipient: ‘Can You Really Blame Us? I Mean, I Get To Sit Home, I Get To Go Visit My Friends All Day, I Even Get To Smoke Weed’
- Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?