Just when I thought it was safe to go to bed after a late night screening of Doomsday Bunkers, I came across this from Denise Chow on SPACE.com Wednesday afternoon:
A massive solar flare that erupted from the sun late Tuesday (March 6) is unleashing one of the most powerful solar storms in more than five years, a solar tempest that may potentially interfere with satellites in orbit and power grids when it reaches Earth…
The CME [coronal mass ejection] is not expected to hit Earth directly, but the cloud of charged particles could deliver a glancing blow to the planet.
Early predictions estimate that the CME will reach Earth tomorrow (March 8, 2012) at 7 a.m. EST (1200 GMT), with the effects likely lasting for 24 hours, and possibly lingering into Friday, [National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration space weather scientist Joseph] Kunches said.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
What could be impacted by this solar superstorm?
• Satellites- Some high-precision GPS users could be affected
• Airplanes- Flights over the polar caps could have communications issues. Commercial carriers have been notified.
• Power grids- The potential exists for induced currents in the grids. Power grid operators have been alerted.
Only a couple more hours until the CME is scheduled to arrive here on Earth. Hopefully, this glancing blow will turn out to be nothing.
Chow, Denise. “Huge Solar Flare’s Magnetic Storm May Disrupt Satellites, Power Grids.” SPACE.com. 7 Mar. 2012. (http://www.space.com/14818-solar-flare-magnetic-storm-satellites.html). 8 Mar. 2012.
1 Comment to Most Powerful Solar Storm In 5 Years Arrives Wednesday
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas