Just when I thought it was safe to go to bed after a late night screening of Doomsday Bunkers, I came across this from Denise Chow on SPACE.com Wednesday afternoon:
A massive solar flare that erupted from the sun late Tuesday (March 6) is unleashing one of the most powerful solar storms in more than five years, a solar tempest that may potentially interfere with satellites in orbit and power grids when it reaches Earth…
The CME [coronal mass ejection] is not expected to hit Earth directly, but the cloud of charged particles could deliver a glancing blow to the planet.
Early predictions estimate that the CME will reach Earth tomorrow (March 8, 2012) at 7 a.m. EST (1200 GMT), with the effects likely lasting for 24 hours, and possibly lingering into Friday, [National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration space weather scientist Joseph] Kunches said.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
What could be impacted by this solar superstorm?
• Satellites- Some high-precision GPS users could be affected
• Airplanes- Flights over the polar caps could have communications issues. Commercial carriers have been notified.
• Power grids- The potential exists for induced currents in the grids. Power grid operators have been alerted.
Only a couple more hours until the CME is scheduled to arrive here on Earth. Hopefully, this glancing blow will turn out to be nothing.
Chow, Denise. “Huge Solar Flare’s Magnetic Storm May Disrupt Satellites, Power Grids.” SPACE.com. 7 Mar. 2012. (http://www.space.com/14818-solar-flare-magnetic-storm-satellites.html). 8 Mar. 2012.
1 Comment to Most Powerful Solar Storm In 5 Years Arrives Wednesday
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Posting Resumes Next Week
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana