In February, Washington D.C. resident Benjamin Portman’s roommate and girlfriend were robbed at gunpoint by three armed men while walking home one night in a very well-lit area of the Capitol Hill neighborhood. The concerned citizen asked officials at a community meeting he attended three weeks ago:
What should someone do in that situation? It seems to me you have two choices. Either run for dear life, or basically give them whatever they want and hope that they’re not going to hurt you.
Paul Quander, Washington D.C.’s Deputy Mayor for Public Safety and Justice, replied to Portman:
The reality is, often times, the choice that you have to make is, you give them what they want. You walk away, and you live and you survive…
[Portman interrupts and asks how one knows if they are going to live and survive]
The problem that I see is that sometimes if you are armed, it escalates the situation. And it is much better, in my opinion, to be scared, to be frightened, and even if you have to be, to be injured, but to walk away and survive. Because you’ll heal, you can replace whatever was taken away, but the trauma of that gunshot to you or to someone else is traumatic. And when citizens start firing, then it may not be the bandit that you hit but someone else…
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
“Ward 3 Public Safety Meeting”
“You give them what they want. You walk away, and you live and you survive.” Some Chicago-area store employees have tried that recently… and ended up dead. RIP Judi Simpson-Beaver, who was shot in the head and chest while complying with the robber. RIP Lyn Ward, who was shot in the neck while running away from the robber.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Jim Rogers: ‘The Whole World Is Going To Collapse’
- Study: Illinois Government Bloated With 6,963 Local Governing Bodies
- Pandemic Tops Global Insurance Executive Rankings Of ‘Extreme’ Risks To Their Industry
- Thoughts On Illinois State Lawmakers Passing Public Pension ‘Fix’
- Project Prepper, Part 22: The Nutnfancy Project’s Emergency Water Storage Video
- Cyber Monday Sale Continues At Nitro-Pak Preparedness Center
- 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- WSJ Calls Proposed ‘Fix’ To Illinois Public Pension Crisis ‘Fake’
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?
- Editor on Signs Of The Time, Part 70