Peter Schiff, President and Chief Global Strategist of Euro Pacific Capital, recently discussed the growing chatter about a U.S. economic recovery in a March 18, 2012, entry on The Schiff Report YouTube video blog. In “Don’t believe the hype — the U.S. economy is not recovering, it’s getting sicker,” Schiff told viewers:
Well, the truth is, if the economy really were recovering along the lines that the Fed suggests, they wouldn’t have extended their commitment to keep interest rates at 0 through late 2014. If the economy were improving, why would the Fed have to keep it on life support? Again, the Fed knows the economy is not improving, it knows it’s a phony recovery that’s contingent on low interest rates, and that’s why it is keeping them there. But it’s not going to be able to keep them there.
He added later on in the video segment:
The data points that we’ve been getting do not point to an improving U.S. economy. We are not resolving any of the imbalances that underlie our economy. The structural imbalances that led to the housing bubble, that led to the financial crisis, are being exacerbated, not alleviated. Everything the Fed has done, everything the government has done, is making our economy worse, not better. And the data points show that. Again, sure, temporarily, when you’re inflating a bubble, you can create some phony jobs, you can create some excess consumer spending, and government spending. You can create the appearance of prosperity. But all you have to do is look beneath the surface, and you can see that the real economy is not prosperous, it is in decay, it is deteriorating, and we are setting ourselves up for the next big crisis. And that’s the crisis that the Fed is not even concerned about, is not even worried about, nobody is talking about it, but we’re talking about it here.
“Don’t believe the hype — the U.S economy is not recovering, it’s getting sicker.”
The host of The Peter Schiff Show also talked about inflation:
But even the government’s numbers- the headline number- was up 4/10 of 1 percent, which would annualize out to an annual rate of 5 percent, over 5 percent inflation. I think the true rate of inflation is more double that 5 percent level. Closer to 10 percent.
And Schiff, who’s also the CEO of Euro Pacific Precious Metals, also shared his views on different assets. From the video:
But the market that is on the verge of collapse is the bond market and the dollar. And in order to prevent that from happening, the Fed is going to print a lot of money, and that will put a floor beneath asset prices. But it will basically put a rocket ship [chuckling] beneath gold prices, and it will sink the dollar.
(Editor’s notes: I am not responsible for any personal liability, loss, or risk incurred as a consequence of the use and application, either directly or indirectly, of any information presented herein; info added to “Crash Prophets” page)
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 31 Percent Of Chicago-Area Homeowners With Mortgages ‘Seriously Underwater’
- On TV: 10 Ways To End The World
- Peter Schiff Predicts Gold Going Higher Than $5,000 An Ounce
- Illinois Policy Institute: ‘Illinois Is Exporting Its Higher-Income Earners’
- Project Prepper, Part 26: The Everyday Carry (EDC) Bag
- Casting Call For FOX TV Show ‘UTOPIA’
- ‘Doomsday Preppers’ Season 4 In The Works
- Michael Bloomberg And Heavenly Hubris
- Shocking: Illinois ‘Pole Tax’ Fails To Bring In Projected Revenue
- Surviving A Nuclear Attack On Washington, D.C.
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…