Peter Schiff, President and Chief Global Strategist of Euro Pacific Capital, recently discussed the growing chatter about a U.S. economic recovery in a March 18, 2012, entry on The Schiff Report YouTube video blog. In “Don’t believe the hype — the U.S. economy is not recovering, it’s getting sicker,” Schiff told viewers:
Well, the truth is, if the economy really were recovering along the lines that the Fed suggests, they wouldn’t have extended their commitment to keep interest rates at 0 through late 2014. If the economy were improving, why would the Fed have to keep it on life support? Again, the Fed knows the economy is not improving, it knows it’s a phony recovery that’s contingent on low interest rates, and that’s why it is keeping them there. But it’s not going to be able to keep them there.
He added later on in the video segment:
The data points that we’ve been getting do not point to an improving U.S. economy. We are not resolving any of the imbalances that underlie our economy. The structural imbalances that led to the housing bubble, that led to the financial crisis, are being exacerbated, not alleviated. Everything the Fed has done, everything the government has done, is making our economy worse, not better. And the data points show that. Again, sure, temporarily, when you’re inflating a bubble, you can create some phony jobs, you can create some excess consumer spending, and government spending. You can create the appearance of prosperity. But all you have to do is look beneath the surface, and you can see that the real economy is not prosperous, it is in decay, it is deteriorating, and we are setting ourselves up for the next big crisis. And that’s the crisis that the Fed is not even concerned about, is not even worried about, nobody is talking about it, but we’re talking about it here.
“Don’t believe the hype — the U.S economy is not recovering, it’s getting sicker.”
The host of The Peter Schiff Show also talked about inflation:
But even the government’s numbers- the headline number- was up 4/10 of 1 percent, which would annualize out to an annual rate of 5 percent, over 5 percent inflation. I think the true rate of inflation is more double that 5 percent level. Closer to 10 percent.
And Schiff, who’s also the CEO of Euro Pacific Precious Metals, also shared his views on different assets. From the video:
But the market that is on the verge of collapse is the bond market and the dollar. And in order to prevent that from happening, the Fed is going to print a lot of money, and that will put a floor beneath asset prices. But it will basically put a rocket ship [chuckling] beneath gold prices, and it will sink the dollar.
(Editor’s notes: I am not responsible for any personal liability, loss, or risk incurred as a consequence of the use and application, either directly or indirectly, of any information presented herein; info added to “Crash Prophets” page)
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Jim Rogers: ‘The Whole World Is Going To Collapse’
- Study: Illinois Government Bloated With 6,963 Local Governing Bodies
- Pandemic Tops Global Insurance Executive Rankings Of ‘Extreme’ Risks To Their Industry
- Thoughts On Illinois State Lawmakers Passing Public Pension ‘Fix’
- Project Prepper, Part 22: The Nutnfancy Project’s Emergency Water Storage Video
- Cyber Monday Sale Continues At Nitro-Pak Preparedness Center
- 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- WSJ Calls Proposed ‘Fix’ To Illinois Public Pension Crisis ‘Fake’
- Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?
- Editor on Signs Of The Time, Part 70