Speaking of self-reliance and Texas this morning, I happened to stumble on an interesting article about a McAllen prepper family by their local newspaper. Madeleine Smith wrote on The Monitor website Monday:
The Sepúlvedas are by all appearances an average family. They have a house filled with the warmth and bustle of three kids and the family dog. Their home is tasteful and modern, looking for all the world like a normal, suburban abode — but not every home has a secret room. The Sepúlvedas (we’ll call them Raul and Marissa) are what are known as “preppers,”— people who are stocking up for the collapse of civilization, or the end of the world as we know it…
Note what dad “Raul” Sepúlvedas had to say about why they prep:
“We’re not prepping just because it’s 2012 — we are preparing for very human stupidity and desperation,” Raul says seriously. “Whenever there’s a hurricane or things like that, within an hour, the stores are cleared out. If you were in trouble, if your kids were hungry and you knew the people across the street had food, you would try to get some for your family. It’s human nature. People go a little crazy during scary events — it’s just smart to be prepared.”
“Very human stupidity and desperation.” No shortage of that these days, right? And leave it to some emergency or disaster for it to really shine through in a lot of people.
You can read the entire article on The Monitor website here.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- ‘Earthquake Lady’ Warns ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’
- Chicago Aldermen Push For Styrofoam, Polystyrene Food Container Ban
- Solar Scientist: July 2012 Coronal Mass Ejection And 1859 Carrington Event Show Need To Prepare
- Project Prepper, Part 23: Removing That Military Surplus Smell
- Chicago-Area Forest Preserves: Use With Caution
- Is This What A Prepper Expo Is Really Like?
- Chicago-Area Winter Survival Training Camp Planned For This Weekend
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?