Surprise, surprise. Shootings and murders in Chicago are up so far this year when compared to 2011.
According to Frank Main and Fran Spielman on the Chicago Sun-Times website last night, murder was up 27 percent for the first seven months of 2012, while shootings were up 6 percent in the same time period.
Yet, July saw some improvement in the murder column. Jeremy Gorner wrote on the Chicago Tribune website this morning:
Homicides fell in Chicago during July compared with a year earlier, the first monthly decline so far in 2012, which has seen murders spike by almost 27 percent.
July ended with 49 homicides, six fewer than in July 2011, an 11 percent drop, police statistics show…
Still, through July, 308 people have been killed, up 26.7 percent from 243 in the year-earlier period.
Main and Spielman reported that Chicago Police Department Superintendent Garry McCarthy said a comprehensive gang violence reduction strategy that was launched earlier this year is “taking hold.”
I hope McCarthy is right, but since we’re talking about only one month (July) of year-over-year decline here, the CPD, City Hall, and everyone else will just have to wait until August is done and over with to get a better idea of how that strategy is actually working.
Main, Frank and Spielman, Fran. “City’s rising murder rate beginning to drop, top cop says.” Chicago Sun-Times. 1 Aug. 2012. (http://www.suntimes.com/14164166-761/citys-rising-murder-rate-beginning-to-drop-top-cop-says.html). 2 Aug. 2012.
Gorner, Jeremy. “July homicides drop but year-so-far tally up.” Chicago Tribune. 2 Aug. 2012. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-july-homicides-drop-but-yearsofar-tally-up-20120801,0,4856048.story). 2 Aug. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana