Surprise, surprise. Shootings and murders in Chicago are up so far this year when compared to 2011.
According to Frank Main and Fran Spielman on the Chicago Sun-Times website last night, murder was up 27 percent for the first seven months of 2012, while shootings were up 6 percent in the same time period.
Yet, July saw some improvement in the murder column. Jeremy Gorner wrote on the Chicago Tribune website this morning:
Homicides fell in Chicago during July compared with a year earlier, the first monthly decline so far in 2012, which has seen murders spike by almost 27 percent.
July ended with 49 homicides, six fewer than in July 2011, an 11 percent drop, police statistics show…
Still, through July, 308 people have been killed, up 26.7 percent from 243 in the year-earlier period.
Main and Spielman reported that Chicago Police Department Superintendent Garry McCarthy said a comprehensive gang violence reduction strategy that was launched earlier this year is “taking hold.”
I hope McCarthy is right, but since we’re talking about only one month (July) of year-over-year decline here, the CPD, City Hall, and everyone else will just have to wait until August is done and over with to get a better idea of how that strategy is actually working.
Main, Frank and Spielman, Fran. “City’s rising murder rate beginning to drop, top cop says.” Chicago Sun-Times. 1 Aug. 2012. (http://www.suntimes.com/14164166-761/citys-rising-murder-rate-beginning-to-drop-top-cop-says.html). 2 Aug. 2012.
Gorner, Jeremy. “July homicides drop but year-so-far tally up.” Chicago Tribune. 2 Aug. 2012. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-july-homicides-drop-but-yearsofar-tally-up-20120801,0,4856048.story). 2 Aug. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- 22 States Now Recognize Illinois Concealed Carry License
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana