Surprise, surprise. Shootings and murders in Chicago are up so far this year when compared to 2011.
According to Frank Main and Fran Spielman on the Chicago Sun-Times website last night, murder was up 27 percent for the first seven months of 2012, while shootings were up 6 percent in the same time period.
Yet, July saw some improvement in the murder column. Jeremy Gorner wrote on the Chicago Tribune website this morning:
Homicides fell in Chicago during July compared with a year earlier, the first monthly decline so far in 2012, which has seen murders spike by almost 27 percent.
July ended with 49 homicides, six fewer than in July 2011, an 11 percent drop, police statistics show…
Still, through July, 308 people have been killed, up 26.7 percent from 243 in the year-earlier period.
Main and Spielman reported that Chicago Police Department Superintendent Garry McCarthy said a comprehensive gang violence reduction strategy that was launched earlier this year is “taking hold.”
I hope McCarthy is right, but since we’re talking about only one month (July) of year-over-year decline here, the CPD, City Hall, and everyone else will just have to wait until August is done and over with to get a better idea of how that strategy is actually working.
Main, Frank and Spielman, Fran. “City’s rising murder rate beginning to drop, top cop says.” Chicago Sun-Times. 1 Aug. 2012. (http://www.suntimes.com/14164166-761/citys-rising-murder-rate-beginning-to-drop-top-cop-says.html). 2 Aug. 2012.
Gorner, Jeremy. “July homicides drop but year-so-far tally up.” Chicago Tribune. 2 Aug. 2012. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-july-homicides-drop-but-yearsofar-tally-up-20120801,0,4856048.story). 2 Aug. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas