Chicago Alderman Proposes Residents And Businesses Pay ‘Safety And Security Fee’ To Hire More Police
Many Chicagoans will be wondering what they’re paying taxes for after hearing about a proposed “fee” to hire more police officers. Fran Spielman wrote on the Chicago Sun-Times website this morning:
Chicago should impose a “safety and security fee” — as high as $5 a month on homes and businesses — to generate the $70 million needed to hire 700 additional police officers, an influential alderman said Thursday.
Ald. George Cardenas (12th), chairman of the City Council’s Health Committee, said Chicago desperately needs a surge in police hiring to ease a severe manpower shortage that has hamstrung the city’s ability to stop a surge in homicides and shootings.
If a $5 “safety and security fee” was tacked on to the monthly electric bill of Commonwealth Edison’s one million residential and 170,000 business customers and remitted to the city, it would generate the $70 million needed to bolster the force by 700 officers and bolster community policing, Cardenas said.
Chicago residents may already be familiar with Alderman Cardenas because of his proposed taxes on bottled water and sugary drinks.
According to Susanna Song on the website of Chicago CBS affiliate Channel 2 this morning:
Chicago Fraternal Order of Police President Mike Shields praised the idea, and said the police force is suffering from a critical manpower shortage that is getting worse.
“The attrition rate over the last 3 1/2 years has been about 4.5 to 1, so about 4.5 officers who retired for every one officer who is hired,” Shield said. “The crime rate is going up. The manpower is going down.”
Murders are up 24.5 percent and shootings are up 10 percent compared to this time last year.
Spielman, Fran. “Alderman proposes $5-a-month ‘safety and security fee’ to pay for 700 more cops.” Chicago Sun-Times. 21 Sep. 2012. (http://www.suntimes.com/15277823-761/alderman-proposes-5-a-month-safety-and-security-fee-to-pay-for-700-more-cops.html). 21 Sep. 2012.
Song, Susanna. “Alderman Wants Fee On Electric Bills To Fund Hiring Of New Police Officers.” Channel 2 Chicago. 21 Sep. 2012. (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/09/21/report-alderman-wants-fee-on-electric-bills-to-fund-hiring-of-new-police-officers/). 21 Sep. 2012.
1 Comment to Chicago Alderman Proposes Residents And Businesses Pay ‘Safety And Security Fee’ To Hire More Police
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- JM Bullion’s 2014 Silver Eagle $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity Sale Ends Tonight
- More Convicts To Be Released Early Nationwide
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy Keeps Pushing For More Gun ‘Control’ Laws
- Project Prepper, Part 27: Transferring Pre-Owned Gear, Supplies To The New Everyday Carry Bag
- Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- IEMA: First-Ever America’s PrepareAthon! To Be Held On April 30
- Go-To Gear For When The Lights Go Out
- Status Of West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System
- Chicago-Area Lakes Hit By Bad Fish Kill
- Chicago Gangs Completely Out Of Control?
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- peter G on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…