One might think a relative of U.S. Senator Joe “Red Scare” McCarthy (R-WI) would go bonkers after hearing the following story.
Nope. Hardly anything from my girlfriend.
Except, “What do you want from the grocery store tomorrow?”
From Stephanie Weaver on the Evening Sun (Pennsylvania) website Monday:
The New Oxford High School Marching Band’s field show, “St. Petersburg: 1917,” will change its name and remove hammers and sickles after it made national news when one parent was offended by the performance he said commemorates the Russian revolution.
Rebecca Harbaugh, superintendent for the Conewago Valley School District, said this morning the district would continue to evaluate the show to see if anything else should be removed. She said the introduction, referring to the Russian revolution of 1917 would be changed, but that the show would continued to feature the music of Russian composer Dimitri Shostakovich.
Fox News Radio reported Monday that a parent who attended a Sept. 14 Friday night football game called the station, voicing his opinions on the band’s show, involved olive military-style uniforms, red flags and other communist symbols.
However, the show didn’t seem to offend the judges of the Cavalcade of Bands Association Inc. show at Manheim Township High School on Saturday, where the band won first place, according to the band’s website.
“It’s showing expression with music,” Sue Thoman Behm wrote on Facebook Monday night.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
In the comment section of a related article on msnNOW yesterday, “bandmomma” left the following:
It’s an artistic show that represents history not a celebration of communism! Whoever found this newsworthy needs to get a life.
I have to agree with “bandmomma” here… as it concerns the newsworthiness of high schoolers being okay with using symbols and making references to a former (recovering?) superpower founded on socialist ideals (if you believe that communism is a higher form of socialism).
You see, not only am I aware that a good number of Americans aren’t put-off by the idea of socialism anymore, but a recent poll even showed a majority of young Americans aged 18-29 have a positive view of it.
From the Pew Research Center website back on December 28, 2011:
Socialism is a negative for most Americans, but certainly not all. Six-in-ten (60%) say they have a negative reaction to the word; 31% have a positive reaction…
Fully nine-in-ten conservative Republicans (90%) view socialism negatively, while nearly six-in-ten liberal Democrats (59%) react positively.
The poll of 1,521 adults conducted back in early December 2011 revealed that among the 18-29 age group, 49 percent had a positive view of socialism as compared to 43 percent having a negative view.
I’m guessing Senator McCarthy is rolling in his grave right now.
Along with the estimated 85 to 100 million people murdered under Communist regimes in the 20th century.
Weaver, Stephanie. “New Oxford band show will remove hammers and sickles.” Evening Sun. 24 Sep. 2012. (http://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_21620205/new-oxford-band-marches-hammers-and-sickles%20%3Chttp://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_21620205/new-oxford-band-marches-hammers-and-sickles%3E). 27 Sep. 2012.
“Little Change in Public’s Response to ‘Capitalism,’ ‘Socialism.’” Pew Research Center. 28 Dec. 2011. (http://www.people-press.org/2011/12/28/little-change-in-publics-response-to-capitalism-socialism/?src=prc-headline). 27 Sep. 2012.
1 Comment to We’re An Amerikan Band
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Peter Schiff Predicts Gold Going Higher Than $5,000 An Ounce
- Illinois Policy Institute: ‘Illinois Is Exporting Its Higher-Income Earners’
- Project Prepper, Part 26: The Everyday Carry (EDC) Bag
- Casting Call For FOX TV Show ‘UTOPIA’
- ‘Doomsday Preppers’ Season 4 In The Works
- Michael Bloomberg And Heavenly Hubris
- Shocking: Illinois ‘Pole Tax’ Fails To Bring In Projected Revenue
- Surviving A Nuclear Attack On Washington, D.C.
- While Ebola Grabs The Headlines, Coronavirus Makes A Comeback In The Middle East
- Food Insurance Having Buy One, Get One 60% Off Bug-Out Essentials Sale
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…