One might think a relative of U.S. Senator Joe “Red Scare” McCarthy (R-WI) would go bonkers after hearing the following story.
Nope. Hardly anything from my girlfriend.
Except, “What do you want from the grocery store tomorrow?”
From Stephanie Weaver on the Evening Sun (Pennsylvania) website Monday:
The New Oxford High School Marching Band’s field show, “St. Petersburg: 1917,” will change its name and remove hammers and sickles after it made national news when one parent was offended by the performance he said commemorates the Russian revolution.
Rebecca Harbaugh, superintendent for the Conewago Valley School District, said this morning the district would continue to evaluate the show to see if anything else should be removed. She said the introduction, referring to the Russian revolution of 1917 would be changed, but that the show would continued to feature the music of Russian composer Dimitri Shostakovich.
Fox News Radio reported Monday that a parent who attended a Sept. 14 Friday night football game called the station, voicing his opinions on the band’s show, involved olive military-style uniforms, red flags and other communist symbols.
However, the show didn’t seem to offend the judges of the Cavalcade of Bands Association Inc. show at Manheim Township High School on Saturday, where the band won first place, according to the band’s website.
“It’s showing expression with music,” Sue Thoman Behm wrote on Facebook Monday night.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
In the comment section of a related article on msnNOW yesterday, “bandmomma” left the following:
It’s an artistic show that represents history not a celebration of communism! Whoever found this newsworthy needs to get a life.
I have to agree with “bandmomma” here… as it concerns the newsworthiness of high schoolers being okay with using symbols and making references to a former (recovering?) superpower founded on socialist ideals (if you believe that communism is a higher form of socialism).
You see, not only am I aware that a good number of Americans aren’t put-off by the idea of socialism anymore, but a recent poll even showed a majority of young Americans aged 18-29 have a positive view of it.
From the Pew Research Center website back on December 28, 2011:
Socialism is a negative for most Americans, but certainly not all. Six-in-ten (60%) say they have a negative reaction to the word; 31% have a positive reaction…
Fully nine-in-ten conservative Republicans (90%) view socialism negatively, while nearly six-in-ten liberal Democrats (59%) react positively.
The poll of 1,521 adults conducted back in early December 2011 revealed that among the 18-29 age group, 49 percent had a positive view of socialism as compared to 43 percent having a negative view.
I’m guessing Senator McCarthy is rolling in his grave right now.
Along with the estimated 85 to 100 million people murdered under Communist regimes in the 20th century.
Weaver, Stephanie. “New Oxford band show will remove hammers and sickles.” Evening Sun. 24 Sep. 2012. (http://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_21620205/new-oxford-band-marches-hammers-and-sickles%20%3Chttp://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_21620205/new-oxford-band-marches-hammers-and-sickles%3E). 27 Sep. 2012.
“Little Change in Public’s Response to ‘Capitalism,’ ‘Socialism.’” Pew Research Center. 28 Dec. 2011. (http://www.people-press.org/2011/12/28/little-change-in-publics-response-to-capitalism-socialism/?src=prc-headline). 27 Sep. 2012.
1 Comment to We’re An Amerikan Band
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Missing ABC7 I-Team Info About Illinois Concealed Carry Security Breach
- Quote For The Week
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas