After reading the following a short time ago about Cook County (Illinois) Board President Toni Preckwinkle’s gun tax on law-abiding residents to pay for the stupid actions of local criminals, I thought to myself, “I can’t get out of Cook County fast enough.” From Hal Dardick on the Chicago Tribune website at lunchtime:
The cost of buying cigarettes and guns in Cook County will rise next year after commissioners today voted 16-1 to approve County Board President Toni Preckwinkle’s $2.95 billion budget.
In addition to the $1-per-pack increase on a pack of smokes and a new $25 per-gun tax on firearm purchases, the board also enacted a 1.25 percent use tax on large out-of-county purchases, with an exemption on the first $3,500 spent. There’s also a $1,000-per-year tax on slot machines and a $200-per-year tax on video gambling terminals.
The cigarette tax increases March 1, while the use tax and gun tax are effective April 1.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
So, it’s now “official”- Cook County, Illinois, is now the only place in America that levies a special tax on purchasers of firearms.
Funny how Cook County officials and the “watchdog” Chicago news media never talked about how this new gun tax will impact major sporting goods retailers who do brisk business selling firearms and have a presence in the county, such as Cabela’s and Dick’s Sporting Goods.
I’m guessing their respective corporate offices are running the numbers right now to decide whether or not to shut down their retail stores in Cook County.
A subject that’s already being discussed.
“Opening Soon! The Trinkets And Other Crap For Sale Store”
Soon-to-be-seen signage at the former sites of 40 or so gun shops and the Hoffman Estates Cabela’s in Cook County? There’s plenty of these kinds of businesses already around.
In total, Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle and the 17 Cook County Commissioners just hiked fees and taxes for area residents and business by a projected $41.7 million. Meanwhile, Cook County residents and businesses struggle to keep afloat in the ongoing financial crisis.
Dardick, Hal. “New Cook County budget includes $1-a-pack cigarette tax hik.” Chicago Tribune. 9 Nov. 2012. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-new-cook-county-budget-includes-1apack-cigarette-tax-hike-20121109,0,384861.story). 9 Nov. 2012.
4 Comments to Cook County Enacts $25 Per-Gun Tax On Firearm Purchases
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana