Even though I think my home state of Illinois is heading in the wrong direction, plenty of my neighbors appear to be very pleased with the way the “Land of Lincoln” is being run. Monique Garcia, Ray Long, and Rick Pearson wrote on the Chicago Tribune website yesterday:
In Springfield, where Republicans have long been the minority party in the state Legislature, Democrats won a veto-proof supermajority in the state House and Senate. In the House, it’s 71 Democrats and 47 Republicans. In the Senate, it’s 40 Democrats and 19 Republicans.
Mike Garrigan added on the website for Rockford, Illinois, CBS affiliate WIFR Channel 23 Wednesday night:
Before the election, Democrats held a 64-54 majority in the state house, but that has been increased to a 71-47 majority, making it a veto proof or super majority.
There is also now a democratic supermajority in the Illinois senate after the majority party picked up five more seats on Tuesday.
North of the border in Wisconsin, where I spend a good deal of my time, the opposite is happening. From an Associated Press piece Wednesday:
Wisconsin Republicans have retaken full control of state government, winning majorities in both the Senate and Assembly and erasing Democrats’ gains in last summer’s recalls.
Results from Tuesday’s elections show Republicans captured an open Senate seat and four incumbent GOP senators fended off challengers, allowing them to capture the majority, and their colleagues in the Assembly easily held onto their advantage in that chamber.
With Republican Gov. Scott Walker in office, the GOP now has complete control in Madison. And the ramifications are huge: Republicans will be able to pass legislation without a single vote from Democrats and Walker should be able to push through the next state budget with ease, setting himself up for his 2014 re-election bid.
Seeing that Illinois looks to continue on the same course it’s been going on for some time now, and Wisconsin appears to be heading in the right direction as it concerns their state’s finances and economic outlook, I intend to give strong consideration to the “Badger State” as my future home as part of Project Prepper.
Garcia, Monique, Long, Ray, and Pearson, Rick. “For Illinois Republicans, the gloom settles in.” Chicago Tribune. 8 Nov. 2012. (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-11-08/news/ct-met-illinois-politics-1108-20121108_1_gop-leader-christine-radogno-illinois-republicans-republican-chairman-pat-brady). 9 Nov. 2012.
Garrigan, Mike. “Supermajority for Illinois Democrats.” WIFR Channel 23. 7 Nov. 2012. (http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/Super-177752381.html). 9 Nov. 2012.
“GOP wins back control of Wis. state government.” Associated Press. 7 Nov. 2012. (http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/Super-177752381.html). 9 Nov. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Resource Of The Week: Slickguns.com
- Signs Of The Time, Part 72
- November Jobs Report ‘Rather Sucked’?
- Retired CPD Sergeant And TouchVision Crime Reporter Calls Out Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel And Pals
- Welfare Recipient: ‘Can You Really Blame Us? I Mean, I Get To Sit Home, I Get To Go Visit My Friends All Day, I Even Get To Smoke Weed’
- Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Jim Rogers: ‘The Whole World Is Going To Collapse’
- Study: Illinois Government Bloated With 6,963 Local Governing Bodies
- Pandemic Tops Global Insurance Executive Rankings Of ‘Extreme’ Risks To Their Industry
- Thoughts On Illinois State Lawmakers Passing Public Pension ‘Fix’
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?
- Editor on Signs Of The Time, Part 70