The State of Illinois’ pension funding gap has now reached $86 billion.
That’s right- $86 billion.
And one of Illinois’ leading business groups- the Civic Committee of The Commercial Club of Chicago- has just issued a letter to its members and Governor Pat Quinn that the pension crisis has gotten to the point that even if the Illinois General Assembly takes drastic action in addressing the issue, the state’s pension systems will still run out of money to pay promised benefits. From correspondence dated November 14:
Dear Governor Quinn:
As you well know, the Illinois budget has crumbled under the heavy weight of the state’s underfunded pension obligations. We’ve watched and waited as our state’s leaders have time and again been unable to make the choices necessary to put us back on sound financial ground. Our latest sobering analysis has led us to conclude, as I have shared in the attached memo sent today to members of the Commercial Club, that under current circumstances the pension system is unfixable.
We base that statement on more than just the overwhelming numbers. The magnitude of the unfunded obligations, combined with a total lack of political courage to rectify the situation, leads us to believe that our pension systems can no longer be salvaged sufficiently to meet their current obligations. This is tragic, both for those who participate in the systems and those who pay for them, but it did not come without warning or proposed solutions…
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
The Civic Committee concluded their stinging assessment of the state’s public pension program and its political leaders with the following:
Illinois has become the poster child for state finances gone awry.
Being the “poster child” for anything typically sucks- as is the case here.
If you happen to participate in one of these pension plans, it’s probably wise to explore fall-back plans in case this source of retirement income doesn’t pan out as expected.
You can read the entire letter from the Civic Committee of the Commercial Club of Chicago on Scribd.com here.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana