So far, we have been lucky. Wisconsin did not turn into the wild, wild west when concealed carry became law…
-James E. Causey, in a November 3, 2012, opinion piece posted on the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel website
Driving to my family’s place in Southeast Wisconsin is becoming unbearable.
You see, as soon as I cross the state line from Illinois it’s hard not to notice all the bodies stacking up from the concealed carry permit holders running rampant like it’s the “Wild West.”
Congratulations are in order for the state of Wisconsin, seeing that November 1 marked the first anniversary of the Midwest state legalizing concealed carry- the 49th state in the Union to do so.
Illinois is the only state left that does not allow private citizens to carry concealed firearms in public.
Contrary to the warnings of gun “control” supporters, the streets of Milwaukee and elsewhere in Wisconsin aren’t running with rivers of blood from CCW permit holders blasting away at their fellow Wisconsinites. From the website of Madison’s WTAQ News Talk 1360 AM on November 1:
Today is the first anniversary of Wisconsin’s concealed weapons law – and the state’s attorney general says it’s working as well as expected. About 138,500 state carry permits were granted in the first year – 13,000 more than what [Wisconsin Attorney General] J-B Van Hollen predicted six months ago. Around 150,000 people have applied for concealed weapons licenses, and Van Hollen said many of the ones rejected were for clerical errors.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Speaking of the Attorney General, Tom Murray reported on the website of Milwaukee’s WTMJ Newsradio 620 on November 1:
Attorney General JB Van Hollen issued himself permit number one and says he regularly carries on the job.
“We were one of the last two states who didn’t have conceal carry for law abiding citizens,” Van Hollen said. “An armed society is certainly a safer society and a better society.”
As for Illinois, the concealed carry movement is not only alive, but definitely kicking. The Associated Press reported on November 8:
Residents in some Illinois counties sent a message to lawmakers this week: Give citizens the right to carry concealed weapons.
Measures supporting concealed carry were on the ballot Tuesday in at least 10 mostly rural counties — Adams, Bond, Henry, McDonough, Mercer, Randolph, Rock Island, Schuyler, Stephenson and Warren — and passed overwhelmingly in every one.
The votes were non-binding because local law cannot override state law. But advocates say they hope to build pressure on lawmakers to support concealed carry.
“One year anniversary of Wisconsin’s concealed carry law.” WTAQ. 1 Nov. 2012. (http://wtaq.com/news/articles/2012/nov/01/one-year-anniversary-of-wisconsins-concealed-carry-law/). 16 Nov. 2012.
Murray, Tom. “On anniversary, concealed carry exceeds advocates’ expectations.” WTMJ. 1 Nov. 2012. (http://www.620wtmj.com/news/local/176894121.html). 16 Nov. 2012.
“10 Illinois counties say they want concealed carry.” Chicago Tribune. 8 Nov. 2012. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-10-illinois-counties-say-they-want-concealed-carry-20121108,0,2012281.story). 16 Nov. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana