On the topic of homicides this morning, here’s something I hear being said more these days…
That kind of thing usually doesn’t happen around here.
Or something along those lines.
Consider the following from Gene Blevins and Eric Johnson on Reuters.com this morning:
Four shot dead in ‘nice’ California suburb – police
The bodies of four gunshot victims were found outside a single-family home being used as a boarding house in a normally peaceful suburb of Los Angeles early on Sunday morning, police said…
Shootings are uncommon in the suburb in the San Fernando Valley region, [Los Angeles Police Department spokeswoman Terri Brinkmeyer] said.
“It’s a nice, middle-class neighborhood,” she said.
“Nice.” “Uncommon.” Sound familiar?
Sadly enough, many of us are probably going to hear this stuff being uttered with increasingly regularity as the financial crash draws closer.
As the economy worsens, government budgets will most likely suffer (again) as well, making it difficult to maintain those levels of public safety many of us have grown accustomed to over the years.
In some areas of the country, this situation is already happening. Consider the case of San Bernardino, California. From the CBS Los Angeles website Friday:
City Attorney Tells San Bernardino Residents To ‘Lock Their Doors,’ ‘Load Their Guns’ Because Of Police Downsizing
The city attorney of San Bernardino is under scrutiny for telling residents to “lock their doors and load their guns” during a city council meeting.
The official explained that because the city is bankrupt and slashing public safety budgets people will need to start protecting themselves.
City Attorney Jim Penman said he doesn’t regret what he said…
“Well, if I remember right, I told them to ‘lock their doors and load their guns,’” Penman said.
According to CBS Los Angeles, San Bernardino has cut its police force by about 80 officers as it deals with bankruptcy, and has seen a 50 percent increase in murders in 2012 as compared to last year.
San Bernardino’s experience reminds me of something I wrote all the way back on only the third day of this blog’s existence. From November 24, 2010:
A 25-year veteran of the Toldeo (Ohio) Police Department offered this advice (via FOX’s Toledo affiliate) to residents last year prior to 75 officers being let go by the city:
If I’m an average citizen of Toledo, I definitely would be concerned… Tell people to buy guns. Invest in precious metals – lead, gun powder and brass.
The senior police officer added:
The gang element and the criminal element are getting a little bolder because they know there’s not enough officers out there.
Other law enforcement personnel have shared the same advice with their residents since the onset of the financial crisis.
As the case of San Bernardino shows, similar warnings have been issued since that time, highlighting the importance of the individual taking responsibility for their own safety.
I’ll leave you with what I left those earliest of readers back in November 2010:
This last thought about the individual being ultimately responsible for their own personal protection is hammered home by John S. Farnam, a long-time defensive firearms instructor and deputy sheriff (training officer) in the Park County, Colorado, Sheriff’s Office. In The Farnam Method of Defensive Shotgun and Rifle Shooting, the founder and president of Defense Training International wrote:
It is said by enlightened social scientists, “If it rained twenty-dollar bills every Monday morning, there would still be people begging for their dinner ever Monday evening!” The same is true with criminals. No matter how “civilized” or indulgent our society becomes, there will always be criminals. And, the more foolishly dependent we all become upon governmental institutions as the only means of preserving civil order, the more dubious our continued existence becomes, and the more quickly order will disintegrate when our societal underpinnings are crippled or even imperiled. When citizens become additively dependent on an eleemosynary and paternal government to do for them what they could be, and, of right, ought to be, doing for themselves, that civilization’s days are surely numbered. Never forget, regardless of how politically incorrect it may sound to the uninformed, your personal security is always your responsibility, and yours alone!
“Your personal security is always your responsibility, and yours alone!”
Blevins, Gene and Eric Johnson. “Four shot dead in “nice” California suburb- police.” Reuters. 3 Dec. 2012. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/03/us-usa-crime-shooting-idUSBRE8B20AY20121203). 3 Dec. 2012.
“City Attorney Tells San Bernardino Residents To ‘Lock Their Doors,’ ‘Load Their Guns’ Because Of Police Downsizing.” CBS Los Angeles. 30 Nov. 2012. (http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/11/30/city-attorney-tells-san-bernardino-residents-to-lock-their-doors-load-their-guns-because-of-police-downsizing/). 3 Dec. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana