Spring 2006. I’d been driving through the northwest suburbs of Chicago when I asked my girlfriend, who was a city planner at the time:
What’s with all the new banks popping up?
She confirmed that plenty of these structures were going up around the area. Furthermore, she added that municipalities disliked them in many cases because they occupied primo real estate in town without bringing in sales tax revenue. Interesting to know.
I remember thinking- when the economy goes south, get ready to hear about a slew of bank robberies in the area, thanks in part to all this new supply of “targets.”
Fast forward to 2012. Saba Hamid wrote on the NBC Chicago website last Friday:
Chicago is having a banner year for bank robberies.
As of Dec. 7, the city reported 198 robberies, a 70 percent increase in the past four months, according to BanditTracker Chicago. At this rate, the number likely will cross 200 by year’s end and could double the 2011 record of 115.
Interestingly enough, 2006 was the record-setting year for bank heists in the Chicagoland area, when 284 robberies were reported.
Hamid, Saba. “Chicago Bank Robberies Could Double Last Year’s.” NBC Chicago. 7 Dec. 2012. (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Chicago-Bank-Robberies-Record-182549001.html). 10 Dec. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Missing ABC7 I-Team Info About Illinois Concealed Carry Security Breach
- Quote For The Week
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas