Spring 2006. I’d been driving through the northwest suburbs of Chicago when I asked my girlfriend, who was a city planner at the time:
What’s with all the new banks popping up?
She confirmed that plenty of these structures were going up around the area. Furthermore, she added that municipalities disliked them in many cases because they occupied primo real estate in town without bringing in sales tax revenue. Interesting to know.
I remember thinking- when the economy goes south, get ready to hear about a slew of bank robberies in the area, thanks in part to all this new supply of “targets.”
Fast forward to 2012. Saba Hamid wrote on the NBC Chicago website last Friday:
Chicago is having a banner year for bank robberies.
As of Dec. 7, the city reported 198 robberies, a 70 percent increase in the past four months, according to BanditTracker Chicago. At this rate, the number likely will cross 200 by year’s end and could double the 2011 record of 115.
Interestingly enough, 2006 was the record-setting year for bank heists in the Chicagoland area, when 284 robberies were reported.
Hamid, Saba. “Chicago Bank Robberies Could Double Last Year’s.” NBC Chicago. 7 Dec. 2012. (http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Chicago-Bank-Robberies-Record-182549001.html). 10 Dec. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana