Can’t say I’m surprised to hear the following from top Illinois Democrats. Hal Dardick reported on the Chicago Tribune website last night:
Illinois’ leading Democrats on Monday pushed for more gun control in the wake of last week’s school shootings in Connecticut, but gun-owner rights groups criticized the move as politicizing a national tragedy and said they were prepared to fight in Washington and Springfield.
U.S. Sen Dick Durbin, the state’s senior senator and the No. 2 Democrat in the chamber, called for congressional hearings aimed at finding constitutional limits to Second Amendment rights while Gov. Pat Quinn and Mayor Rahm Emanuel re-emphasized their long-standing call to ban semi-automatic, assault-style weapons at the state and federal level.
According to the article, Governor Quinn is hoping Illinois legislators will take action on more gun “control”- including a gun ban- by early January.
Fran Spielman noted on the Chicago Sun-Times website yesterday afternoon:
Quinn… called for state lawmakers to ban assault weapons when they return to Springfield for a lame-duck legislative session, beginning on Jan. 2 and extending through Jan. 9. “The message of last Friday is it’s time for all of us in Illinois to begin to save lives by banning assault weapons [and] banning high-capacity ammunition magazines that are used to kill people,” he said.
Dardick, Hal. “Governor, mayor want assault-weapons ban.” Chicago Tribune. 17 Dec. 2012. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-school-shooting-illinois-politicians-1218-20121218,0,5128691.story). 18 Dec. 2012.
Spielman, Fran. “Emanuel calls for ‘vote of conscience’ on assault weapons ban.” Chicago Sun-Times. 18 Dec. 2012. (http://www.suntimes.com/17072443-761/emanuel-calls-for-vote-of-conscience-on-assault-weapons-ban.html). 18 Dec. 2012.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: Slickguns.com
- Signs Of The Time, Part 72
- November Jobs Report ‘Rather Sucked’?
- Retired CPD Sergeant And TouchVision Crime Reporter Calls Out Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel And Pals
- Welfare Recipient: ‘Can You Really Blame Us? I Mean, I Get To Sit Home, I Get To Go Visit My Friends All Day, I Even Get To Smoke Weed’
- Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?