Last time out with the “Project Prepper” series of posts, after deciding that I’ll be moving out of Chicago and into the suburbs in the spring, I took a little bit of a detour and blogged about the “Mayan Apocalypse” that was supposed to arrive on December 21, 2012. Getting back on track today, approximately 4.5 months remain before my girlfriend and I plan to move, we still haven’t decided whether we’re going to buy or rent the suburban property in which we intend to reside in for the next few years (Wisconsin being selected as our ultimate destination).
Truth be told, I’m starting to lean towards renting- unless we can get our hands on a great deal. Even more so after reading a recent Forbes piece about “death spiral states” (hat tip Second City Cop). Back on November 25, 2012, former Forbes editor William Baldwin wrote on the website:
Don’t buy a house in a state where private sector workers are outnumbered by folks dependent on government.
Thinking about buying a house? Or a municipal bond? Be careful where you put your capital. Don’t put it in a state at high risk of a fiscal tailspin.
Eleven states make our list of danger spots for investors. They can look forward to a rising tax burden, deteriorating state finances and an exodus of employers. The list includes California, New York, Illinois and Ohio, along with some smaller states like New Mexico and Hawaii.
If your career takes you to Los Angeles or Chicago, don’t buy a house. Rent.
“If your career takes you to Los Angeles or Chicago, don’t buy a house. Rent.”
I didn’t insert those italics in the first sentence, in case you’re wondering.
Baldwin elaborated on the problems he sees with the “Land of Lincoln.” From the piece:
Illinois is especially known for its dishonesty, whether among officeholders (future license plate motto: Land of Corruption) or in the habit of under-accounting for promises to government employees. The Rauh study counted $66 billion in the till to cover pension obligations of $233 billion.
To lend money to California, Illinois or the other nine states perched on the precipice requires a leap of faith. So does buying a house in those locales. Don’t count on a property tax limit to protect your home’s value. If other taxes are high enough, there won’t be any buyers.
Definitely something for my girlfriend and I to chew on as we ramp up our housing search in the coming weeks. Although it doesn’t seem wise to purchase a home in a “death spriral state,” does it?
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Baldwin, William. “Do You Live In A Death Spiral State?” Forbes. 25 Nov. 2012. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/2012/11/25/do-you-live-in-a-death-spiral-state/). 18 Jan. 2013.
2 Comments to Project Prepper, Part 6: Buying A Home In A ‘Death Spiral State’
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Missing ABC7 I-Team Info About Illinois Concealed Carry Security Breach
- Quote For The Week
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas