Has the deadly Ebola virus or something like it spread from Africa to Asia?
From a press release on the website of New York City-based non-profit EcoHealth Alliance (formerly Wildlife Trust until 2010) this past Wednesday:
EcoHealth Alliance, a nonprofit organization that focuses on local conservation and global health issues, released new research on Ebola virus in fruit bats in the peer reviewed journal, Emerging Infectious Diseases, a monthly publication by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The study found Ebola virus antibodies circulating in ~4% of the 276 bats scientists screened in Bangladesh. These results suggest that Rousettus fruit bats are a reservoir for Ebola, or a new Ebola-like virus in South Asia. The study extends the range of this lethal disease further than previously suspected to now include mainland Asia.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
So should we be concerned about Ebola or an Ebola-like virus playing a role in the next pandemic? David Quammen, author of the recently-released book Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic, and a contributing writer to National Geographic Magazine, wrote in an opinion piece on The New York Times website back on September 22, 2012:
Yes, there probably will be a Next Big One, they say. It will most likely be caused by a virus, not by a bacterium or some other kind of bug. More specifically, we should expect an RNA virus (specifically, one that bears its genome as a single molecular strand), as distinct from a DNA virus (carrying its info on the reliable double helix, less prone to mutation, therefore less variable and adaptable). Finally, this RNA virus will almost certainly be zoonotic — a pathogen that emerges from some nonhuman animal to infect, and spread among, human beings…
Ebola is a zoonosis. The Ebola viruses (there are five known species) abide inconspicuously in some as yet unidentified creature or creatures native to Central African forests, spilling over occasionally to kill gorillas and chimps and people.
Still, Quammen is skeptical that the next pandemic will stem from the Ebola virus. He added:
Nor is it likely to be Ebola, which is transmissible from human to human through direct contact with bodily fluids, but can be stopped by preventing such contact. Furthermore, Ebola burns so hotly in its victims, incapacitating and killing so quickly, that it is poorly adapted to achieve global dispersal. Only one human has ever been known to leave Africa with a rampant Ebola virus infection — and that was a Swiss woman, evacuated in 1994 to a hospital in Basel. If you want to be grateful for something today, be grateful for that: Ebola doesn’t fly.
Still, I worry about South Asia. Especially Bangladesh, where those fruit bats were screened and one of the ten most populous countries on the planet.
You can read the entire EcoHealth Alliance press release here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Quammen, David. “Anticipating the Next Pandemic.” The New York Times. 22 Sep. 2012. (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/opinion/sunday/anticipating-the-next-pandemic.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0). 19 Jan. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- 22 States Now Recognize Illinois Concealed Carry License
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana