“State lawmakers, Rep. John Fritchey, 11th, and Rep. LaShawn Ford, 8th, are calling for Governor Quinn to deploy the Illinois National Guard to Chicago’s violent areas… 113 people have died in Chicago so far this year.”
-NBC Chicago website, April 26, 2010
113 murdered in Chicago from January to late April 2010, and some state legislators were calling for the Illinois National Guard to be deployed.
506 “official” homicides in 2012, and it’s the Department of Homeland Security that’s now being requested to patrol the streets of Chicago in an attempt to put a halt to escalating “gun violence.”
On February 1, the Chicago-based Rainbow PUSH Coalition (RPC) announced in a press release:
Chicago, IL (Friday, February 1, 2013) — Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Sr. and Rainbow PUSH Coalition call for immediate Federal Intervention and Homeland Security in Chicago as January homicide totals exceeded 45. This morning, in Chicago, a woman’s van was riddled with bullets as she was executed on a major highway. Two days ago, a 15-year-old Dr. Martin Luther King College Prep honor student, who had recently performed as a majorette at the President’s inaugural ceremony, was killed after trying to seek shelter from the rain less than a mile away from the President’s home. Another student was shot but survived. The gunman is still at large. Days before these tragedies, seven people were killed, 6 from gunshots, all in one day; most of their murders have been unsolved. Reverend Jesse Jackson reaffirms that gun control reform is critical and the ban on assault weapons paramount.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Reverend Jackson repeated his call for federal intervention before a march on the South Side this Saturday. Renita Young reported on the Reuters website that same day:
Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson and relatives of victims of fatal shootings in Chicago urged President Barack Obama on Saturday to come back to his hometown and address the gun violence plaguing the city.
Before a march on the city’s South Side, Jackson, a former Democratic presidential candidate, said America’s third most populous city needed more help than Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police superintendent Garry McCarthy could offer.
“When the president shows up, it shows ultimate national seriousness,” said Jackson, a Chicago resident. He also called for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to help patrol the streets of Chicago.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
“America’s third most populous city needed more help than Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police superintendent Garry McCarthy could offer.”
Sounds like even the Reverend Jackson recognizes the Chicago Police Department could use some more manpower these days.
“He also called for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to help patrol the streets of Chicago.”
When I hear calls for the National Guard, Homeland Security, or some other entity to descend upon the “City By The Lake,” I think of Bruce Willis’ line as General William Devereaux from the 1998 film The Siege:
The Army is a broad sword, not a scalpel. Trust me, senator- you do not want the Army in an American city.
Military, CPD on Chicago streets after July 1966 rioting (no volume)
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
“Reverend Jackson And Rainbow/PUSH Call for Federal Intervention in Chicago.” Operation Rainbow PUSH. 1 Feb. 2013. (http://www.rainbowpush.org/news/single/reverend_jackson_and_rainbow_push_call_for_federal_intervention_in_chicago#). 4 Feb. 2013.
Young, Renita D. “Chicago marchers urge Obama to come home to address gun violence.” Reuters. 2 Feb. 2013. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/03/us-usa-crime-chicago-idUSBRE91200X20130203). 4 Feb. 2012.
1 Comment to Jesse Jackson Calls For Department Of Homeland Security To Patrol Streets Of Chicago
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana