“State lawmakers, Rep. John Fritchey, 11th, and Rep. LaShawn Ford, 8th, are calling for Governor Quinn to deploy the Illinois National Guard to Chicago’s violent areas… 113 people have died in Chicago so far this year.”
-NBC Chicago website, April 26, 2010
113 murdered in Chicago from January to late April 2010, and some state legislators were calling for the Illinois National Guard to be deployed.
506 “official” homicides in 2012, and it’s the Department of Homeland Security that’s now being requested to patrol the streets of Chicago in an attempt to put a halt to escalating “gun violence.”
On February 1, the Chicago-based Rainbow PUSH Coalition (RPC) announced in a press release:
Chicago, IL (Friday, February 1, 2013) — Rev. Jesse L. Jackson, Sr. and Rainbow PUSH Coalition call for immediate Federal Intervention and Homeland Security in Chicago as January homicide totals exceeded 45. This morning, in Chicago, a woman’s van was riddled with bullets as she was executed on a major highway. Two days ago, a 15-year-old Dr. Martin Luther King College Prep honor student, who had recently performed as a majorette at the President’s inaugural ceremony, was killed after trying to seek shelter from the rain less than a mile away from the President’s home. Another student was shot but survived. The gunman is still at large. Days before these tragedies, seven people were killed, 6 from gunshots, all in one day; most of their murders have been unsolved. Reverend Jesse Jackson reaffirms that gun control reform is critical and the ban on assault weapons paramount.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Reverend Jackson repeated his call for federal intervention before a march on the South Side this Saturday. Renita Young reported on the Reuters website that same day:
Civil rights leader Jesse Jackson and relatives of victims of fatal shootings in Chicago urged President Barack Obama on Saturday to come back to his hometown and address the gun violence plaguing the city.
Before a march on the city’s South Side, Jackson, a former Democratic presidential candidate, said America’s third most populous city needed more help than Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police superintendent Garry McCarthy could offer.
“When the president shows up, it shows ultimate national seriousness,” said Jackson, a Chicago resident. He also called for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to help patrol the streets of Chicago.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
“America’s third most populous city needed more help than Mayor Rahm Emanuel and police superintendent Garry McCarthy could offer.”
Sounds like even the Reverend Jackson recognizes the Chicago Police Department could use some more manpower these days.
“He also called for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to help patrol the streets of Chicago.”
When I hear calls for the National Guard, Homeland Security, or some other entity to descend upon the “City By The Lake,” I think of Bruce Willis’ line as General William Devereaux from the 1998 film The Siege:
The Army is a broad sword, not a scalpel. Trust me, senator- you do not want the Army in an American city.
Military, CPD on Chicago streets after July 1966 rioting (no volume)
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
“Reverend Jackson And Rainbow/PUSH Call for Federal Intervention in Chicago.” Operation Rainbow PUSH. 1 Feb. 2013. (http://www.rainbowpush.org/news/single/reverend_jackson_and_rainbow_push_call_for_federal_intervention_in_chicago#). 4 Feb. 2013.
Young, Renita D. “Chicago marchers urge Obama to come home to address gun violence.” Reuters. 2 Feb. 2013. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/03/us-usa-crime-chicago-idUSBRE91200X20130203). 4 Feb. 2012.
1 Comment to Jesse Jackson Calls For Department Of Homeland Security To Patrol Streets Of Chicago
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Republican Candidates For Illinois Governor Split On ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban?
- Quotes For The Week
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas