How many of you have heard that old saying?
“As goes California, so goes the rest of the country.”
Well, Democratic lawmakers are pushing sweeping gun “control” in the “Golden State” these days. And gun rights supporters across the nation are watching intently, fully-aware that what transpires on the “Left Coast” may be coming to their “neck of the woods” soon. From the CBS News website yesterday morning:
Weeks after New York enacted the nation’s toughest gun laws, California lawmakers said Thursday they want their state to do even more in response to recent mass shootings, particularly the Connecticut school massacre.
Democrats who control the state Legislature revealed 10 proposals that they said would make California the most restrictive state for possessing firearms…
Among the measures is one that would outlaw the future sale of semi-automatic rifles with detachable magazines. The restriction would prevent quick reloading by requiring bullets to be loaded one at a time.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
See this firearm?
It’s a Ruger 10/22 semi-automatic rifle that’s often used by younger shooters but whose utility, ergonomics, and performance is appreciated by older ones so much that it’s been one of the most popular firearms in the United States for a long time now (it’s been produced since 1964). By the way, it also has a detachable rotary magazine that holds 10 cartridges.
Gone- if these California lawmakers get their way.
Thursday evening on the San Francisco Chronicle website, Wyatt Buchanan listed the other gun “control” measures being proposed:
Not all of the measures announced Thursday have been put in bill form, but they and other recent proposals include:
– Requiring all handgun owners to obtain an annual safety certificate akin to that required for obtaining a concealed weapons permit, which requires holders to take hours-long courses in gun use and safety.
– Barring the loaning or sale of a firearm between people who know each other personally.
– Requiring gun owners to purchase insurance to cover the cost of any damage that could result from use of a firearm.
– A 5-cent tax on each bullet purchased, with the money to be spent on either policing in high-crime areas or mental-illness screening and treatment for children.
– Requirements for ammunition sellers to be registered and sales reported to state officials.
In all, state Senate Democrats plan to introduce seven bills; while in the Assembly, 13 bills and one resolution have been introduced so far, and more may be coming. The bills contain multiple gun regulations.
“The bills contain multiple gun regulations.”
Since there’s that bit about “The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed” in the United States Constitution, I suspect the State of California will be slapped with a lawsuit should the sweeping gun “control” ever be implemented.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
“Calif. lawmakers seek toughest gun laws in nation.” CBS News/Associated Press. 8 Feb. 2013. (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57568322/calif-lawmakers-seek-toughest-gun-laws-in-nation/). 9 Feb. 2013.
Buchanan, Wyatt. “State lawmakers propose tough gun laws.” San Francisco Chronicle. 8 Feb. 2013. (http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/State-lawmakers-propose-tough-gun-laws-4261890.php). 9 Feb. 2013.
2 Comments to California Democrats Propose Semi-Automatic Rifle Ban, Sweeping Gun ‘Control’ Measures
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: Slickguns.com
- Signs Of The Time, Part 72
- November Jobs Report ‘Rather Sucked’?
- Retired CPD Sergeant And TouchVision Crime Reporter Calls Out Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel And Pals
- Welfare Recipient: ‘Can You Really Blame Us? I Mean, I Get To Sit Home, I Get To Go Visit My Friends All Day, I Even Get To Smoke Weed’
- Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?