On February 22, 2013, the following appeared on SilverDoctors.com:
ViaMat, one of the world’s leading precious metals storage firms (used by BullionVault & GoldMoney as primary storage provider) has just notified US customers that effective April 30th 2013, it will discontinue private storage of precious metals for all clients with a US tax liability. Clients have until April 30th to notify Via Mat International where they would like their physical bullion dispatched to.
And from The Daily Reckoning website on March 5:
An article on this subject said:
“For one, the big gold depositories like Gold Money and Bullion Vault ALL use Via Mat as a primary secure storage provider. So it’s only a matter of time before Via Mat’s decision cascades across these other firms.”
We believe that neither BullionVault nor GoldMoney will see “Via Mat’s decision cascade across these other firms.” Neither company faces U.S. taxation nor are they in U.S. jurisdiction. They are gold dealers who buy and sell gold for their clients for cash and house the gold in Via Mat’s vaults.
As Survival And Prosperity participates in affiliate programs offered by both BullionVault and GoldMoney, I decided I’d better contact both companies to make sure my referrals/their customers with U.S. tax liabilities won’t be affected by VIA MAT’s recent policy change.
Here’s what I received from GoldMoney this Monday:
Dear Mr. Hill,
Thank you for taking the time to contact us and to express your concerns.
We are aware of VIA MAT’s change of policy regarding individuals with potential US tax liabilities.
However, please be advised that this does not impact GoldMoney customers since you do not have a direct relationship with VIA MAT when you store metals at VIA MAT vaults with GoldMoney.
For more information, please see the following FAQ:
And from BullionVault Tuesday morning:
Thank you for your email. BullionVault is a commercial client of ViaMat. The letter posted and referred to on the internet last month says that the decision applies to ViaMat’s own US private clients. ViaMat has confirmed to BullionVault in writing that it has “no impact whatsoever” on the services they provide to us.
Special thanks go out to GoldMoney’s Toni Sty and BullionVault’s Adrian Ash for helping me get to the bottom of this.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
The Doc. “LEADING GOLD STORAGE FIRM VIAMAT DUMPS ALL US CLIENTS.” SilverDoctors.com. 22 Feb. 2013. (http://www.silverdoctors.com/leading-gold-storage-firm-viamat-dumps-all-us-clients/). 7 Mar. 2013.
“Where To Go as Swiss are Shutting Out U.S. Taxpayers.” The Daily Reckoning. 5 Mar. 2013. (http://dailyreckoning.com/where-to-go-as-swiss-are-shutting-out-u-s-taxpayers/). 7 Mar. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- ‘Earthquake Lady’ Warns ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’
- Chicago Aldermen Push For Styrofoam, Polystyrene Food Container Ban
- Solar Scientist: July 2012 Coronal Mass Ejection And 1859 Carrington Event Show Need To Prepare
- Project Prepper, Part 23: Removing That Military Surplus Smell
- Chicago-Area Forest Preserves: Use With Caution
- Is This What A Prepper Expo Is Really Like?
- Chicago-Area Winter Survival Training Camp Planned For This Weekend
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Rob Dawg on ‘Earthquake Lady’ Warns ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns