One needs only to follow local events (Second City Cop blog is my vehicle of choice) the last two years to recognize that Chicago has a wilding problem. So much so that City Hall is now even talking about clamping down on flash mobs/mob actions/mob attacks what have you. Fran Spielman reported on the Chicago Sun-Times website Monday night:
Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) has a plan to prevent a repeat of the ugly mob attacks that have plagued River North and downtown Chicago the past two summers: moonlighting, uniformed police officers paid for by local merchants.
Reilly wants to let local chambers of commerce, business improvement districts and “special service area” taxing districts hire off-duty Chicago Police officers to supplement regular police patrols…
Reilly’s ordinance, quietly introduced at last week’s City Council meeting, would allow off-duty officers to wear their uniforms while being paid $30 an hour by local businesses to work a minimum of six-hour shifts.
According to Spielman’s article, it sounds like area merchants and the Fraternal Order of Police support the proposed initiative. The City Hall reporter did point out that John Chikow, president of the Greater North Michigan Avenue Association, said there’s no money available to hire moonlighting CPD officers.
It sounds to me like the Association expects the City to pick up the tab for this program. Does anyone blame them for feeling this way? After all, their members and the revenue they generate are instrumental in keeping this city running.
Alas, this might not be an issue if the Chicago Police Department were operating at full-strength.
Still, it’s nice to see at least one elected official taking the wilding problem seriously. However, the City of Chicago needs to act now before the delinquents hit the streets. Without any additional measures in place this year I suspect 2013 is going to be another bad one for downtown Chicago when it comes to flash mobs/mob actions/mob attacks.
Remember what I blogged way back in May 2011 as all this was escalating:
If City Hall “loses” downtown to the bad guys- or, in this case, bad boys and girls- you lose the tourists, their money, revenue… you get the point.
You listenin’ Rahm?
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Spielman, Fran. “Plan calls for moonlighting cops, merchants’ cash to stop mobs.” Chicago Sun-Times. 18 Mar. 2013. (http://www.suntimes.com/news/18939262-418/plan-calls-for-moonlighting-cops-merchants-cash-to-stop-mobs.html). 19 Mar. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: Slickguns.com
- Signs Of The Time, Part 72
- November Jobs Report ‘Rather Sucked’?
- Retired CPD Sergeant And TouchVision Crime Reporter Calls Out Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel And Pals
- Welfare Recipient: ‘Can You Really Blame Us? I Mean, I Get To Sit Home, I Get To Go Visit My Friends All Day, I Even Get To Smoke Weed’
- Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?