One needs only to follow local events (Second City Cop blog is my vehicle of choice) the last two years to recognize that Chicago has a wilding problem. So much so that City Hall is now even talking about clamping down on flash mobs/mob actions/mob attacks what have you. Fran Spielman reported on the Chicago Sun-Times website Monday night:
Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) has a plan to prevent a repeat of the ugly mob attacks that have plagued River North and downtown Chicago the past two summers: moonlighting, uniformed police officers paid for by local merchants.
Reilly wants to let local chambers of commerce, business improvement districts and “special service area” taxing districts hire off-duty Chicago Police officers to supplement regular police patrols…
Reilly’s ordinance, quietly introduced at last week’s City Council meeting, would allow off-duty officers to wear their uniforms while being paid $30 an hour by local businesses to work a minimum of six-hour shifts.
According to Spielman’s article, it sounds like area merchants and the Fraternal Order of Police support the proposed initiative. The City Hall reporter did point out that John Chikow, president of the Greater North Michigan Avenue Association, said there’s no money available to hire moonlighting CPD officers.
It sounds to me like the Association expects the City to pick up the tab for this program. Does anyone blame them for feeling this way? After all, their members and the revenue they generate are instrumental in keeping this city running.
Alas, this might not be an issue if the Chicago Police Department were operating at full-strength.
Still, it’s nice to see at least one elected official taking the wilding problem seriously. However, the City of Chicago needs to act now before the delinquents hit the streets. Without any additional measures in place this year I suspect 2013 is going to be another bad one for downtown Chicago when it comes to flash mobs/mob actions/mob attacks.
Remember what I blogged way back in May 2011 as all this was escalating:
If City Hall “loses” downtown to the bad guys- or, in this case, bad boys and girls- you lose the tourists, their money, revenue… you get the point.
You listenin’ Rahm?
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Spielman, Fran. “Plan calls for moonlighting cops, merchants’ cash to stop mobs.” Chicago Sun-Times. 18 Mar. 2013. (http://www.suntimes.com/news/18939262-418/plan-calls-for-moonlighting-cops-merchants-cash-to-stop-mobs.html). 19 Mar. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Republican Candidates For Illinois Governor Split On ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban?
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas