“We’re trying to figure out the right amount of gold to have here in Texas. We don’t want just the certificates. We want our gold. And if you’re the state of Texas, you should be able to get your gold.”
-Texas State Representative Giovanni Capriglione (R-Southlake), who is carrying a bill to establish the Texas Bullion Depository, a state-based facility in which gold bullion belonging to the State of Texas and its citizens would be stored, on Forth Worth Star-Telegram website, March 21, 2013
Ever since I got back from Dallas, Texas, late Thursday night, people in Chicago have been asking me what I thought about the place since it was my first time in the “Lone Star State.”
“Buzzing” was how I described it. A vibe I hadn’t felt around these parts since the nineties (I was awake enough to see through the housing bubble-induced artificiality of the mid-2000s).
And the intensity of the buzz appears to have grown the last few days with news coming out of the former independent republic that a state-based and protected Texas Bullion Depository- a Texas “Fort Knox,” so to speak- may be in the works. From Aman Batheja and Emily Ramshaw on the website of the Forth Worth Star-Telegram on Thursday:
Call it the Rick Perry gold rush: The governor wants to bring the state’s gold reserves back from a New York vault to Texas.
And he may have legislative support to do it. Freshman Rep. Giovanni Capriglione, R-Southlake, is carrying a bill that would establish the Texas Bullion Depository, a secure state-based bank to house $1 billion worth of gold bars owned by the University of Texas Investment Management Company, or UTIMCO, and currently stored by the Federal Reserve…
Capriglione said the bill is not about putting Texas on its own gold standard. Rather, a depository would give the state a reputation as being more financially secure in the event of a national or international financial crisis.
And bolster the perception of stability as the state continues efforts to attract business from other parts of the country.
On Thursday, Lauren Lyster of the Yahoo! Finance show The Daily Ticker discussed the proposed Texas Bullion Depository with Jim Rickards, senior managing director of Tangent Capital Partners. It was a good exchange, which you can watch in its entirety (less than 5 minutes) on the Yahoo! Finance website here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Batheja, Aman and Ramshaw, Emily. “Tarrant lawmaker seeks to create Texas Bullion Depository.” Forth Worth Star-Telegram. 21 Mar. 2013. (http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/03/21/4720491/tarrant-lawmaker-seeks-to-create.html). 23 Mar. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- 22 States Now Recognize Illinois Concealed Carry License
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana