Illinois state legislators are still scrambling to enact a concealed-carry law after a federal appeals court required one to be in place by June 9- only 17 days from now.
And earlier today, right to carry legislation moved out of an Illinois House panel, with a vote by the full chamber expected as early as tomorrow.
Rafael Guerrero and Ray Long reported on the Chicago Tribune website today:
An Illinois House panel today approved a concealed weapons bill that supporters say attempts to walk the fine line between gun rights advocates and gun control supporters, but some Chicago-area lawmakers want a more restrictive bill.
The measure, supported by Democratic Speaker Michael Madigan of Chicago and Rep. Brandon Phelps, a Downstater who is the leading pro-gun voice in the Capitol, won approval in the Judiciary Committee 13-3. The bill now goes to the House for an expected vote as early as Friday.
The Associated Press is reporting that the legislation in question is Illinois Senate Bill 2193, particularly House Committee Amendment No. 1. The AP also noted this morning:
The legislation would require the Illinois State Police to issue concealed carry permits to qualified gun owners. It’s patterned on a bill introduced by gun-rights advocate Rep. Brandon Phelps, a southern Illinois Democrat.
But Madigan’s version significantly adds places that would be off limits to guns. Those include mass transit – a must for violence-weary Chicago Democrats.
If legal concealed-carry legislation isn’t enacted by that June deadline, Illinois could become a “Constitutional carry” state. I blogged back on April 19:
Enter Constitutional carry, also known as “permitless carry” and “Vermont carry.” By definition, it means carrying a concealed handgun without a concealed-carry permit.
And it’s something that could happen by default in the “Land of Lincoln” on June 10 if state legislators don’t enact a concealed-carry law after a federal appeals court required Illinois to put one in place by June 9.
You can find out more about Illinois Senate Bill 2193 on the Illinois General Assembly website here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Guerrero, Rafael and Long, Ray. “Illinois concealed carry bill heads to House floor.” Chicago Tribune. 23 May 2013. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-illinois-concealed-carry-bill-heads-to-house-floor-20130523,0,39264.story). 23 May 2013.
“House concealed carry bill passes committee.” Associated Press. 23 May 2013. (http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x1039446774/House-concealed-carry-bill-would-overrule-local-gun-laws). 23 May 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- 22 States Now Recognize Illinois Concealed Carry License
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana