Illinois state legislators are still scrambling to enact a concealed-carry law after a federal appeals court required one to be in place by June 9- only 17 days from now.
And earlier today, right to carry legislation moved out of an Illinois House panel, with a vote by the full chamber expected as early as tomorrow.
Rafael Guerrero and Ray Long reported on the Chicago Tribune website today:
An Illinois House panel today approved a concealed weapons bill that supporters say attempts to walk the fine line between gun rights advocates and gun control supporters, but some Chicago-area lawmakers want a more restrictive bill.
The measure, supported by Democratic Speaker Michael Madigan of Chicago and Rep. Brandon Phelps, a Downstater who is the leading pro-gun voice in the Capitol, won approval in the Judiciary Committee 13-3. The bill now goes to the House for an expected vote as early as Friday.
The Associated Press is reporting that the legislation in question is Illinois Senate Bill 2193, particularly House Committee Amendment No. 1. The AP also noted this morning:
The legislation would require the Illinois State Police to issue concealed carry permits to qualified gun owners. It’s patterned on a bill introduced by gun-rights advocate Rep. Brandon Phelps, a southern Illinois Democrat.
But Madigan’s version significantly adds places that would be off limits to guns. Those include mass transit – a must for violence-weary Chicago Democrats.
If legal concealed-carry legislation isn’t enacted by that June deadline, Illinois could become a “Constitutional carry” state. I blogged back on April 19:
Enter Constitutional carry, also known as “permitless carry” and “Vermont carry.” By definition, it means carrying a concealed handgun without a concealed-carry permit.
And it’s something that could happen by default in the “Land of Lincoln” on June 10 if state legislators don’t enact a concealed-carry law after a federal appeals court required Illinois to put one in place by June 9.
You can find out more about Illinois Senate Bill 2193 on the Illinois General Assembly website here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Guerrero, Rafael and Long, Ray. “Illinois concealed carry bill heads to House floor.” Chicago Tribune. 23 May 2013. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/politics/clout/chi-illinois-concealed-carry-bill-heads-to-house-floor-20130523,0,39264.story). 23 May 2013.
“House concealed carry bill passes committee.” Associated Press. 23 May 2013. (http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x1039446774/House-concealed-carry-bill-would-overrule-local-gun-laws). 23 May 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 2013 Nobel Prize Winner Warns Of Possible Recession Next Year
- ‘Earthquake Lady’ Warns ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’
- Chicago Aldermen Push For Styrofoam, Polystyrene Food Container Ban
- Solar Scientist: July 2012 Coronal Mass Ejection And 1859 Carrington Event Show Need To Prepare
- Project Prepper, Part 23: Removing That Military Surplus Smell
- Chicago-Area Forest Preserves: Use With Caution
- Is This What A Prepper Expo Is Really Like?
- Chicago-Area Winter Survival Training Camp Planned For This Weekend
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- tj & the bear on ‘Earthquake Lady’ Warns ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’
- Rob Dawg on ‘Earthquake Lady’ Warns ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?