Last December, the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down Illinois’ total ban on concealed-carry- the only state in the Union that has one- and required Illinois to put a concealed-carry law in place by June 9. Here’s the latest on the right to carry in Illinois:
• On Tuesday, June 4, the federal appeals court granted Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s request for a 30-day extension with the understanding that Governor Pat Quinn would have more time to review CCW legislation (Illinois House Bill 183) passed by the Illinois General Assembly the prior week. According to an Associated Press-authored piece in The State Journal-Register (Springfield) that same day, the court said it wouldn’t allow another extension past the new July 9 deadline.
• As a result of concealed-carry negotiations, Chicago’s gun registration program may be scrapped. John Byrne reported on the Chicago Tribune website Sunday:
Now the gun registry is on the verge of going away. During negotiations in Springfield to set up rules to allow people to carry concealed weapons, gun rights advocates won a concession to scrap the Chicago registry. The bill is now awaiting action by Gov. Pat Quinn, who could veto it, sign it or write changes into the legislation.
Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, singled out the elimination of the Chicago registry and permit process as one of the big improvements for gun owners in the state under the bill. “That goes bye-bye, and it’s a good thing because that was a terrible law,” Pearson said. “It didn’t serve any purpose except to harass law-abiding gun owners in Chicago.”
(Editor’s note: Italics added fro emphasis)
Back in July 2010, the latest incarnation of Chicago’s gun registry emerged, where eligible Chicago residents wanting to keep a firearm within the city limits were required to apply and get approved for a Chicago Firearms Permit (CFP) before they could legally register a gun. The CFP is valid for only 3 years, which means a number of these permits will begin expiring soon.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
“Appeals court gives Quinn extra time to review gun law.” Associated Press. 4 June 2013. (http://www.sj-r.com/thedome/x863241590/Appeals-court-gives-Quinn-time-to-review-gun-law#axzz2VK6ne3z2). 11 June 2013.
Byrne, John. “Chicago’s gun registry on the ropes.” Chicago Tribune. 9 June 2013. (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-09/news/ct-met-chicago-gun-registry-0608-20130609_1_gun-registry-gun-rights-advocates-gun-control). 11 June 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas