Last December, the U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down Illinois’ total ban on concealed-carry- the only state in the Union that has one- and required Illinois to put a concealed-carry law in place by June 9. Here’s the latest on the right to carry in Illinois:
• On Tuesday, June 4, the federal appeals court granted Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan’s request for a 30-day extension with the understanding that Governor Pat Quinn would have more time to review CCW legislation (Illinois House Bill 183) passed by the Illinois General Assembly the prior week. According to an Associated Press-authored piece in The State Journal-Register (Springfield) that same day, the court said it wouldn’t allow another extension past the new July 9 deadline.
• As a result of concealed-carry negotiations, Chicago’s gun registration program may be scrapped. John Byrne reported on the Chicago Tribune website Sunday:
Now the gun registry is on the verge of going away. During negotiations in Springfield to set up rules to allow people to carry concealed weapons, gun rights advocates won a concession to scrap the Chicago registry. The bill is now awaiting action by Gov. Pat Quinn, who could veto it, sign it or write changes into the legislation.
Richard Pearson, executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, singled out the elimination of the Chicago registry and permit process as one of the big improvements for gun owners in the state under the bill. “That goes bye-bye, and it’s a good thing because that was a terrible law,” Pearson said. “It didn’t serve any purpose except to harass law-abiding gun owners in Chicago.”
(Editor’s note: Italics added fro emphasis)
Back in July 2010, the latest incarnation of Chicago’s gun registry emerged, where eligible Chicago residents wanting to keep a firearm within the city limits were required to apply and get approved for a Chicago Firearms Permit (CFP) before they could legally register a gun. The CFP is valid for only 3 years, which means a number of these permits will begin expiring soon.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
“Appeals court gives Quinn extra time to review gun law.” Associated Press. 4 June 2013. (http://www.sj-r.com/thedome/x863241590/Appeals-court-gives-Quinn-time-to-review-gun-law#axzz2VK6ne3z2). 11 June 2013.
Byrne, John. “Chicago’s gun registry on the ropes.” Chicago Tribune. 9 June 2013. (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-06-09/news/ct-met-chicago-gun-registry-0608-20130609_1_gun-registry-gun-rights-advocates-gun-control). 11 June 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- 22 States Now Recognize Illinois Concealed Carry License
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana