Interested in finding out what’s in the Illinois concealed-carry bill that was recently passed in the Illinois General Assembly (now awaiting Governor Pat Quinn’s signature) without having to pour over all the legalese?
Well, this morning I came across a synopsis of Illinois House Bill 183 (as amended) from the Illinois State Rifle Association on the shooting sports news website AmmoLand.com. ISRA Executive Director Richard Pearson wrote Wednesday:
Many of you have been asking what the bill contains – below is a brief outline. This synopsis of HB1083 is not legal advice.
• One statewide shall-issue licensing standard.
• With regard to concealed carry licenses, preempts local authority of governments to regulate handguns and ammunition for handguns, including licensing, registration, and transportation.
• With regard to FOID card holders, preempts local governments from regulating the transportation of all firearms and ammunition.
• Not preempted are AWB enacted prior to or within 10 days of the enactment of this legislation – after that date, new AWBs would be preempted. Local governments could still regulate rifles and shotguns, but not handguns.
• Grants “safe haven” protection for people carrying concealed while in their vehicle even in prohibited areas.
• Upon exit from their vehicle, the firearm must be locked in their vehicle. If they wish to lock their firearm in their trunk, it must be unloaded before exiting the vehicle.
• License to be issued by the Illinois State Police.
• $150.00 fee for 5 years.
• Requires 16 hours of training, including range time. Up to 8 hours of credit will be recognized for those who had hunter safety, was honorably discharged from the military, or had other CCW training. At this time, states with shorter training time, such as Utah, may only be credited 4 hours. The administrative rules of what the allowances will be, have not yet been determined.
• Private property owners can post their property prohibiting concealed carry. “Safe haven” still applies to their parking lots.
• Restaurants with 50% or more of their receipts from food, but still serving alcohol, are legal to carry in, but are still subject to private property posting by the owners or operators.
• Law enforcement may object to a person they believe to be a “clear and present danger” to themselves or others. Applicants can appeal that decision to the Concealed Carry Licensing Board.
• The State Police have 180 days from the effective date of this bill to be set up to begin processing applications.
• Within 60 days of the effective date of this bill, the Illinois State Police shall begin approval of firearm training courses and instructors.
•There is no reciprocity, but “safe haven” applies to out of state concealed carry permit holders.
Pearson went on to discuss the CCW legislation in more detail, including prohibited places. You can read the ISRA’s entire synopsis of Illinois HB183 on AmmoLand.com here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- JM Bullion’s 2014 Silver Eagle $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity Sale Ends Tonight
- More Convicts To Be Released Early Nationwide
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy Keeps Pushing For More Gun ‘Control’ Laws
- Project Prepper, Part 27: Transferring Pre-Owned Gear, Supplies To The New Everyday Carry Bag
- Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- IEMA: First-Ever America’s PrepareAthon! To Be Held On April 30
- Go-To Gear For When The Lights Go Out
- Status Of West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System
- Chicago-Area Lakes Hit By Bad Fish Kill
- Chicago Gangs Completely Out Of Control?
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- peter G on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…