July 22. That’s the new deadline set by the U.S. Supreme Court for Illinois to put a concealed-carry law in place. From an Associated Press-authored piece in The State Journal-Register yesterday:
The U.S. Supreme Court granted an extension Tuesday for Illinois’s attorney general to decide whether to appeal a court order permitting the state’s gun owners to carry concealed firearms.
Justice Elena Kagan granted a delay until July 22, essentially a second 30 days of leeway that allows Attorney General Lisa Madigan time to craft a response.
The U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down Illinois’ ban on concealed-carry back in December 2012 and set a June 9 deadline for the state to have a CCW law on the books. The appellate court subsequently pushed that back to July 9 at the request of the Illinois Attorney General, saying it wouldn’t allow another extension.
Seeing that both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly passed the concealed-carry legislation (Illinois House Bill 183) with more than the three-fifths vote needed to override Illinois Governor Quinn if he offers changes/vetoes the bill, it’s suspected by some that the extensions are no more than stalling tactics to give Illinois municipalities the chance to pass so-called “assault weapon” bans before the CCW legislation awaiting the Governor’s signature prohibits it.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
O’Connor, John. “Lisa Madigan gets guns delay; Speaker Madigan wants bill OK’d.” Associated Press. 18 June 2013. (http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x871007557/U-S-Supreme-Court-grants-Madigan-more-time-on-guns#axzz2WfY18WW1). 19 June 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Missing ABC7 I-Team Info About Illinois Concealed Carry Security Breach
- Quote For The Week
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas