July 22. That’s the new deadline set by the U.S. Supreme Court for Illinois to put a concealed-carry law in place. From an Associated Press-authored piece in The State Journal-Register yesterday:
The U.S. Supreme Court granted an extension Tuesday for Illinois’s attorney general to decide whether to appeal a court order permitting the state’s gun owners to carry concealed firearms.
Justice Elena Kagan granted a delay until July 22, essentially a second 30 days of leeway that allows Attorney General Lisa Madigan time to craft a response.
The U.S. 7th Circuit Court of Appeals struck down Illinois’ ban on concealed-carry back in December 2012 and set a June 9 deadline for the state to have a CCW law on the books. The appellate court subsequently pushed that back to July 9 at the request of the Illinois Attorney General, saying it wouldn’t allow another extension.
Seeing that both chambers of the Illinois General Assembly passed the concealed-carry legislation (Illinois House Bill 183) with more than the three-fifths vote needed to override Illinois Governor Quinn if he offers changes/vetoes the bill, it’s suspected by some that the extensions are no more than stalling tactics to give Illinois municipalities the chance to pass so-called “assault weapon” bans before the CCW legislation awaiting the Governor’s signature prohibits it.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
O’Connor, John. “Lisa Madigan gets guns delay; Speaker Madigan wants bill OK’d.” Associated Press. 18 June 2013. (http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x871007557/U-S-Supreme-Court-grants-Madigan-more-time-on-guns#axzz2WfY18WW1). 19 June 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Is This What A Prepper Expo Is Really Like?
- Chicago-Area Winter Survival Training Camp Planned For This Weekend
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: Slickguns.com
- Signs Of The Time, Part 72
- November Jobs Report ‘Rather Sucked’?
- Retired CPD Sergeant And TouchVision Crime Reporter Calls Out Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel And Pals
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?