Last week, I blogged about the World Health Organization having urged health workers around the world to be on the alert for symptoms of the deadly Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, or MERS.
(Editor’s note: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention refers to the virus as MERS-CoV)
This morning, I came across a worrisome Associated Press piece on the FOX News website. The AP reports:
A mysterious new respiratory virus that originated in the Middle East spreads easily between people and appears more deadly than SARS, doctors reported Wednesday after investigating the biggest outbreak in Saudi Arabia.
More than 60 cases of what is now called MERS, including 38 deaths, have been recorded by the World Health Organization in the past year, mostly in Saudi Arabia. So far, illnesses haven’t spread as quickly as SARS did in 2003, ultimately triggering a global outbreak that killed about 800 people.
An international team of doctors who investigated nearly two dozen cases in eastern Saudi Arabia found the new coronavirus has some striking similarities to SARS. Unlike SARS, though, scientists remain baffled as to the source of MERS.
The team of doctors published a report about the MERS cases on June 19 on The New England Journal of Medicine website. In “Hospital Outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus,” the physicians noted:
Acute viral respiratory tract infections cause considerable morbidity and mortality and pose a risk of outbreaks in health care settings. We describe a cluster of MERS-CoV infections and report health care–associated human-to-human transmission of MERS-CoV. The 65% case fatality rate in this outbreak is of concern.
Not only did the team find MERS spread easily among humans and within hospitals in the cases they investigated, but that 65 percent death rate was much higher than for SARS back in 2003, in which 9 to 12 percent of those diagnosed perished, even when taking into consideration people over 65, where the SARS death rate was higher than 50% (source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services).
Keep an eye on this deadly, pandemic-potential virus.
You can read the entire report on the NEJM website here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
“Mysterious new MERS virus spreads easily, deadlier than SARS.” Associated Press. 20 June 2013. (http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/06/20/new-mers-virus-spreads-easily-deadlier-than-sars/?test=latestnews). 20 June 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Retired General And FOX News Analyst: ‘We May Even See On 9/11/14 MH370 Resurface Again’
- Former CIA Director: Islamic State Attack On U.S. ‘Will Come Probably Sooner Rather Than Later’
- Thoughts On Concealed-Carry Permits And Their Relation To ‘Falling’ Chicago Crime
- Reminder To Californians
- Quote For The Week
- Posting Resumes Next Week
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana