Several Chicago Suburbs Consider ‘Assault Weapon’ Bans As Result Of State Concealed-Carry Legislation
Several Chicago-area municipalities are considering bans on so-called “assault weapons” as a result of concealed-carry legislation that’s been passed by the Illinois General Assembly and is awaiting signature by Governor Pat Quinn. From an e-mail I received yesterday from the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action:
Illinois: Localities Attempting to Enact Anti-Gun Ordinances in Anticipation of Firearms Preemption Law
Your NRA-ILA has learned recently that some localities in Illinois are scrambling to consider bans on popular semi-automatic firearms while House Bill 183 awaits consideration of Governor Pat Quinn (D). If enacted into law, House Bill 183 will contain comprehensive preemption of handgun-related local ordinances for anyone with a FOID card and reserves regulation of all laws relating to the concealed carrying of handguns to the state. It also provides protections to those traveling with firearms by providing comprehensive preemption of local ordinances as applied to individuals with a FOID card who are transporting firearms in compliance with all state regulations. Firearms preemption prevents lawful concealed carry licensees and firearm owners from being caught in a web of confusing local ordinances and laws as they go about their daily routines. However, HB 183 contains a provision that allows certain localities up to ten days from the date of enactment to make laws prohibiting so-called “assault weapons” before this legislation prohibits local governments from doing so at a later date.
Quinn has been granted an extension of thirty days by a federal court to consider signing HB 183,leaving ample time for localities to enact anti-gun ordinances.
Some of these localities include:
• Buffalo Grove
• Highland Park
• Orland Park
• Wheeler (Editor’s note: I believe the NRA-ILA meant Wheeling)
While handgun laws will be preempted for those with a FOID card under HB 183, its language of past bans on “assault weapons” could include popular and commonly used handguns and circumvent this firearms preemption. Serious concerns still exist about the potential loopholes and legal issues in House Bill 183.
NRA members are urged to contact your local government officials and respectfully urge them to OPPOSE any ordinance that would restrict the rights of law-abiding Illinois citizens or hinder their right to self-defense. Stay tuned to NRA-ILA for updates.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- 22 States Now Recognize Illinois Concealed Carry License
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana