Several Chicago Suburbs Consider ‘Assault Weapon’ Bans As Result Of State Concealed-Carry Legislation
Several Chicago-area municipalities are considering bans on so-called “assault weapons” as a result of concealed-carry legislation that’s been passed by the Illinois General Assembly and is awaiting signature by Governor Pat Quinn. From an e-mail I received yesterday from the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action:
Illinois: Localities Attempting to Enact Anti-Gun Ordinances in Anticipation of Firearms Preemption Law
Your NRA-ILA has learned recently that some localities in Illinois are scrambling to consider bans on popular semi-automatic firearms while House Bill 183 awaits consideration of Governor Pat Quinn (D). If enacted into law, House Bill 183 will contain comprehensive preemption of handgun-related local ordinances for anyone with a FOID card and reserves regulation of all laws relating to the concealed carrying of handguns to the state. It also provides protections to those traveling with firearms by providing comprehensive preemption of local ordinances as applied to individuals with a FOID card who are transporting firearms in compliance with all state regulations. Firearms preemption prevents lawful concealed carry licensees and firearm owners from being caught in a web of confusing local ordinances and laws as they go about their daily routines. However, HB 183 contains a provision that allows certain localities up to ten days from the date of enactment to make laws prohibiting so-called “assault weapons” before this legislation prohibits local governments from doing so at a later date.
Quinn has been granted an extension of thirty days by a federal court to consider signing HB 183,leaving ample time for localities to enact anti-gun ordinances.
Some of these localities include:
• Buffalo Grove
• Highland Park
• Orland Park
• Wheeler (Editor’s note: I believe the NRA-ILA meant Wheeling)
While handgun laws will be preempted for those with a FOID card under HB 183, its language of past bans on “assault weapons” could include popular and commonly used handguns and circumvent this firearms preemption. Serious concerns still exist about the potential loopholes and legal issues in House Bill 183.
NRA members are urged to contact your local government officials and respectfully urge them to OPPOSE any ordinance that would restrict the rights of law-abiding Illinois citizens or hinder their right to self-defense. Stay tuned to NRA-ILA for updates.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas