It was all over the local Chicagoland news yesterday:
Homicides in Chicago during the first half of the year were at its lowest level in nearly half a century.
At least that’s what the Chicago Police Department- specifically, Superintendent Garry McCarthy- was claiming.
But then I came across this last night from Jeremy Gorner on the Chicago Tribune website:
“To date, we’ve had fewer shootings than we had in recent years, and fewer murders than in any year since 1965,” McCarthy said during a news conference at a West Side police station.
That murder number, 184, is the lowest total Chicago police has reported to the FBI for the first half of a year since reporting 180 in 1965, according to official Police Department statistics.
But internal department data obtained by the Tribune shows an identical number of people were slain in Chicago during the first six months of each 2013 and 2011 — 188.
The difference between the figures is that Chicago police’s official tally to the FBI did not include four killings — at least three of which took place within city limits on expressways patrolled by the state police. The comparable figure for the first half of 2011 could not be learned.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Tied with 2011 despite the cooler weather earlier in the year, that overtime paid out to CPD officers to saturate the more “problematic” areas of the city, and “intelligent” crime fighting strategies being pursued.
Nice reporting, Jeremy. I may yet keep my subscription to the Tribune active for a while longer, especially after reading his colleague Monique Garcia write tonight in a different piece:
Chicago voters who are predominantly anti-gun rights.
No beating around the bush there.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Gorner, Jeremy. “Cops tout lowest homicide count since ’65, CPD data show virtual tie with ’11.” Chicago Tribune. 1 July 2013. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-crime-homicide-statistics,0,646622.story). 1 July 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas