It was all over the local Chicagoland news yesterday:
Homicides in Chicago during the first half of the year were at its lowest level in nearly half a century.
At least that’s what the Chicago Police Department- specifically, Superintendent Garry McCarthy- was claiming.
But then I came across this last night from Jeremy Gorner on the Chicago Tribune website:
“To date, we’ve had fewer shootings than we had in recent years, and fewer murders than in any year since 1965,” McCarthy said during a news conference at a West Side police station.
That murder number, 184, is the lowest total Chicago police has reported to the FBI for the first half of a year since reporting 180 in 1965, according to official Police Department statistics.
But internal department data obtained by the Tribune shows an identical number of people were slain in Chicago during the first six months of each 2013 and 2011 — 188.
The difference between the figures is that Chicago police’s official tally to the FBI did not include four killings — at least three of which took place within city limits on expressways patrolled by the state police. The comparable figure for the first half of 2011 could not be learned.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Tied with 2011 despite the cooler weather earlier in the year, that overtime paid out to CPD officers to saturate the more “problematic” areas of the city, and “intelligent” crime fighting strategies being pursued.
Nice reporting, Jeremy. I may yet keep my subscription to the Tribune active for a while longer, especially after reading his colleague Monique Garcia write tonight in a different piece:
Chicago voters who are predominantly anti-gun rights.
No beating around the bush there.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Gorner, Jeremy. “Cops tout lowest homicide count since ’65, CPD data show virtual tie with ’11.” Chicago Tribune. 1 July 2013. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-crime-homicide-statistics,0,646622.story). 1 July 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- 22 States Now Recognize Illinois Concealed Carry License
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana