It was all over the local Chicagoland news yesterday:
Homicides in Chicago during the first half of the year were at its lowest level in nearly half a century.
At least that’s what the Chicago Police Department- specifically, Superintendent Garry McCarthy- was claiming.
But then I came across this last night from Jeremy Gorner on the Chicago Tribune website:
“To date, we’ve had fewer shootings than we had in recent years, and fewer murders than in any year since 1965,” McCarthy said during a news conference at a West Side police station.
That murder number, 184, is the lowest total Chicago police has reported to the FBI for the first half of a year since reporting 180 in 1965, according to official Police Department statistics.
But internal department data obtained by the Tribune shows an identical number of people were slain in Chicago during the first six months of each 2013 and 2011 — 188.
The difference between the figures is that Chicago police’s official tally to the FBI did not include four killings — at least three of which took place within city limits on expressways patrolled by the state police. The comparable figure for the first half of 2011 could not be learned.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Tied with 2011 despite the cooler weather earlier in the year, that overtime paid out to CPD officers to saturate the more “problematic” areas of the city, and “intelligent” crime fighting strategies being pursued.
Nice reporting, Jeremy. I may yet keep my subscription to the Tribune active for a while longer, especially after reading his colleague Monique Garcia write tonight in a different piece:
Chicago voters who are predominantly anti-gun rights.
No beating around the bush there.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Gorner, Jeremy. “Cops tout lowest homicide count since ’65, CPD data show virtual tie with ’11.” Chicago Tribune. 1 July 2013. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-crime-homicide-statistics,0,646622.story). 1 July 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana