Just wanted to let you know I’m back to blogging on Survival And Prosperity after a two week “vacation”- working mainly on the new house in the Chicago suburbs. I did head up to my family’s vacation home in Wisconsin during that time- but it was only for a day and to move furniture in and out of the place as my mom embarks on yet another of her redecorating projects.
Truth be told, I wish she’d set aside some of that money she’s been spending for some basic preparedness items. Last summer, their condo building in the western suburbs lost power for an extended period after a “derecho” event blew through the Chicago area. A heat wave on the heels of that severe weather event only made matters worse, and by the second day my mother was calling me to warn me I might have to carry my elderly, mobility-challenged father down several flights of stairs (in the dark?) to evacuate him to cooler surroundings. Thankfully, the electricity was restored before it came to that.
Shortly thereafter, I suggested to my parents that we get them some real simple preps like a battery-powered camp lantern and battery-operated fans for the next time something like this occurs. Initially, they were receptive to the idea. But as time went on, they changed their tune.
Apparently, this change of heart isn’t uncommon. Some time ago I read or heard that after an event of this magnitude- or even worse- happens, those affected often have good intentions to prepare for something similar the next time around. However, as time passes by, there’s usually no follow through. Not surprised.
All I know is this. As soon as I can scrape together some extra cash, I’m going to buy my P’s these preps. If anything, because I’m not looking forward to carrying my dad down several flights of stairs in the dark and on my back.
Before I let you go, while it’s easy to get lulled into complacency by the gorgeous summer weather (okay, maybe not in Chicagoland today, where the heat index is 99 degrees as I type this) and spin being spewed by the politicians and their “presstitutes,” threats to our health and wealth still exist in America in the summer of 2013. The U.S. economic recovery? Artificial- our economic woes simply papered over and our “financial reckoning day” kicked down the road a bit. Crime and violence down as Big Brother takes over the reigns of our personal safety? While things may seem hunky-dory in your neck of the woods, the devil is in the details, and the personal safety “threat board” becomes more clear once crime data collection/reporting is analyzed along with media reporting. As Chicagoans are hopefully starting to realize, the local press might not be reporting crimes that are taking place and which their audience probably want to know about. For example, Chicago saw some serious wilding take place downtown on July 4, and the local mainstream media either didn’t report it or did so a couple of days later once tourists had departed town after the long holiday weekend. What if the criminal activity had continued the next day, or the rest of the weekend? A lot of good that would have done their audience, some of whom might have planned a trip downtown on July 5, 6, or 7. Thank God for Second City Cop and other blogs like that one.
Anyway, despite the Pollyanna-ish attitude that has returned to much of America today, my “Spidey sense” tells me we’re not out of the woods just yet. If anything, I believe we’re still on a collision course with that proverbial brick wall I’ve blogged about from time to time (even earlier today).
And at this point in time, in America in the summer of 2013, I’m not so sure much can be done to avert a crash anymore. Depressing, but such is life occasionally.
In the meantime, I intend to take advantage of the supposed “recovery” the Pollyannas are going on about any way I can. Who knows? Perhaps I can find some battery-powered lanterns and fans at some good prices.
Christopher E. Hill
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Posting Resumes Next Week
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Riot-Inspired Purchases During The Ferguson And 2011 England Unrest
- Future Riots In Store For Ferguson, Missouri, And Elsewhere In U.S.?
- This Is What A Good Old Fashioned Chicago Riot Looks Like
- 1992 Los Angeles Riots: ‘There Are No Atheists In Foxholes; There Are No Liberals In Riots’
- JM Bullion Has Silver Britannia, Silver Wood Bison Coins On Sale
- Peter Schiff Bullish On Foreign Stocks, Gold, And Silver
- Marc Faber: ‘The Gold Market Has Bottomed-Out’
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana