Just wanted to let you know I’m back to blogging on Survival And Prosperity after a two week “vacation”- working mainly on the new house in the Chicago suburbs. I did head up to my family’s vacation home in Wisconsin during that time- but it was only for a day and to move furniture in and out of the place as my mom embarks on yet another of her redecorating projects.
Truth be told, I wish she’d set aside some of that money she’s been spending for some basic preparedness items. Last summer, their condo building in the western suburbs lost power for an extended period after a “derecho” event blew through the Chicago area. A heat wave on the heels of that severe weather event only made matters worse, and by the second day my mother was calling me to warn me I might have to carry my elderly, mobility-challenged father down several flights of stairs (in the dark?) to evacuate him to cooler surroundings. Thankfully, the electricity was restored before it came to that.
Shortly thereafter, I suggested to my parents that we get them some real simple preps like a battery-powered camp lantern and battery-operated fans for the next time something like this occurs. Initially, they were receptive to the idea. But as time went on, they changed their tune.
Apparently, this change of heart isn’t uncommon. Some time ago I read or heard that after an event of this magnitude- or even worse- happens, those affected often have good intentions to prepare for something similar the next time around. However, as time passes by, there’s usually no follow through. Not surprised.
All I know is this. As soon as I can scrape together some extra cash, I’m going to buy my P’s these preps. If anything, because I’m not looking forward to carrying my dad down several flights of stairs in the dark and on my back.
Before I let you go, while it’s easy to get lulled into complacency by the gorgeous summer weather (okay, maybe not in Chicagoland today, where the heat index is 99 degrees as I type this) and spin being spewed by the politicians and their “presstitutes,” threats to our health and wealth still exist in America in the summer of 2013. The U.S. economic recovery? Artificial- our economic woes simply papered over and our “financial reckoning day” kicked down the road a bit. Crime and violence down as Big Brother takes over the reigns of our personal safety? While things may seem hunky-dory in your neck of the woods, the devil is in the details, and the personal safety “threat board” becomes more clear once crime data collection/reporting is analyzed along with media reporting. As Chicagoans are hopefully starting to realize, the local press might not be reporting crimes that are taking place and which their audience probably want to know about. For example, Chicago saw some serious wilding take place downtown on July 4, and the local mainstream media either didn’t report it or did so a couple of days later once tourists had departed town after the long holiday weekend. What if the criminal activity had continued the next day, or the rest of the weekend? A lot of good that would have done their audience, some of whom might have planned a trip downtown on July 5, 6, or 7. Thank God for Second City Cop and other blogs like that one.
Anyway, despite the Pollyanna-ish attitude that has returned to much of America today, my “Spidey sense” tells me we’re not out of the woods just yet. If anything, I believe we’re still on a collision course with that proverbial brick wall I’ve blogged about from time to time (even earlier today).
And at this point in time, in America in the summer of 2013, I’m not so sure much can be done to avert a crash anymore. Depressing, but such is life occasionally.
In the meantime, I intend to take advantage of the supposed “recovery” the Pollyannas are going on about any way I can. Who knows? Perhaps I can find some battery-powered lanterns and fans at some good prices.
Christopher E. Hill
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- 31 Percent Of Chicago-Area Homeowners With Mortgages ‘Seriously Underwater’
- On TV: 10 Ways To End The World
- Peter Schiff Predicts Gold Going Higher Than $5,000 An Ounce
- Illinois Policy Institute: ‘Illinois Is Exporting Its Higher-Income Earners’
- Project Prepper, Part 26: The Everyday Carry (EDC) Bag
- Casting Call For FOX TV Show ‘UTOPIA’
- ‘Doomsday Preppers’ Season 4 In The Works
- Michael Bloomberg And Heavenly Hubris
- Shocking: Illinois ‘Pole Tax’ Fails To Bring In Projected Revenue
- Surviving A Nuclear Attack On Washington, D.C.
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…