Just wanted to let you know I’m back to blogging on Survival And Prosperity after a two week “vacation”- working mainly on the new house in the Chicago suburbs. I did head up to my family’s vacation home in Wisconsin during that time- but it was only for a day and to move furniture in and out of the place as my mom embarks on yet another of her redecorating projects.
Truth be told, I wish she’d set aside some of that money she’s been spending for some basic preparedness items. Last summer, their condo building in the western suburbs lost power for an extended period after a “derecho” event blew through the Chicago area. A heat wave on the heels of that severe weather event only made matters worse, and by the second day my mother was calling me to warn me I might have to carry my elderly, mobility-challenged father down several flights of stairs (in the dark?) to evacuate him to cooler surroundings. Thankfully, the electricity was restored before it came to that.
Shortly thereafter, I suggested to my parents that we get them some real simple preps like a battery-powered camp lantern and battery-operated fans for the next time something like this occurs. Initially, they were receptive to the idea. But as time went on, they changed their tune.
Apparently, this change of heart isn’t uncommon. Some time ago I read or heard that after an event of this magnitude- or even worse- happens, those affected often have good intentions to prepare for something similar the next time around. However, as time passes by, there’s usually no follow through. Not surprised.
All I know is this. As soon as I can scrape together some extra cash, I’m going to buy my P’s these preps. If anything, because I’m not looking forward to carrying my dad down several flights of stairs in the dark and on my back.
Before I let you go, while it’s easy to get lulled into complacency by the gorgeous summer weather (okay, maybe not in Chicagoland today, where the heat index is 99 degrees as I type this) and spin being spewed by the politicians and their “presstitutes,” threats to our health and wealth still exist in America in the summer of 2013. The U.S. economic recovery? Artificial- our economic woes simply papered over and our “financial reckoning day” kicked down the road a bit. Crime and violence down as Big Brother takes over the reigns of our personal safety? While things may seem hunky-dory in your neck of the woods, the devil is in the details, and the personal safety “threat board” becomes more clear once crime data collection/reporting is analyzed along with media reporting. As Chicagoans are hopefully starting to realize, the local press might not be reporting crimes that are taking place and which their audience probably want to know about. For example, Chicago saw some serious wilding take place downtown on July 4, and the local mainstream media either didn’t report it or did so a couple of days later once tourists had departed town after the long holiday weekend. What if the criminal activity had continued the next day, or the rest of the weekend? A lot of good that would have done their audience, some of whom might have planned a trip downtown on July 5, 6, or 7. Thank God for Second City Cop and other blogs like that one.
Anyway, despite the Pollyanna-ish attitude that has returned to much of America today, my “Spidey sense” tells me we’re not out of the woods just yet. If anything, I believe we’re still on a collision course with that proverbial brick wall I’ve blogged about from time to time (even earlier today).
And at this point in time, in America in the summer of 2013, I’m not so sure much can be done to avert a crash anymore. Depressing, but such is life occasionally.
In the meantime, I intend to take advantage of the supposed “recovery” the Pollyannas are going on about any way I can. Who knows? Perhaps I can find some battery-powered lanterns and fans at some good prices.
Christopher E. Hill
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas