Here’s something you probably won’t hear in the mainstream media:
The Earth just missed being hit by a coronal mass ejection two weeks ago.
I wrote about CMEs way back on August 6, 2011. I blogged:
Coronal mass ejections are “powerful eruptions on the sun that break free of the solar atmosphere. If these masses of plasma reach the earth, it could destroy our electrical grid, which touches every facet of modern life.”
But back to this near-miss. Paul Bedard reported in the “Washington Secrets” section of the Washington Examiner website last night:
The earth barely missed taking a massive solar punch in the teeth two weeks ago, an “electromagnetic pulse” so big that it could have knocked out power, cars and iPhones throughout the United States.
Two EMP experts told Secrets that the EMP flashed through earth’s typical orbit around the sun about two weeks before the planet got there.
“The world escaped an EMP catastrophe,” said Henry Cooper, who led strategic arms negotiations with the Soviet Union under President Reagan, and who now heads High Frontier, a group pushing for missile defense.
“There had been a near miss about two weeks ago, a Carrington-class coronal mass ejection crossed the orbit of the Earth and basically just missed us,” said Peter Vincent Pry, who served on the Congressional EMP Threat Commission from 2001-2008. He was referring to the 1859 EMP named after astronomer Richard Carrington that melted telegraph lines in Europe and North America.
On November 12, 2012, I blogged about the potential impact on the United States from one of these solar superstorms. I wrote:
But to give you a better idea of where the United States stands right now concerning this extra-terrestrial threat, nuclear physicist Yousaf Butt wrote an op-ed that appeared on The New York Times website back on November 2, 2012. Dr. Butt warned:
A powerful solar (or “geomagnetic”) storm has the potential to simultaneously damage multiple transformers in the electricity grid and perhaps even bring down large sections of it, affecting upwards of a hundred million people in the United States for many months, if not years.
These huge transformers are expensive and difficult to replace, and not many are stockpiled in the United States for an emergency. In the worst case, the impact would be devastating: An outage could cost a few trillion dollars, with full recovery taking years. Not only would parts of the grid be compromised, but telephone networks, undersea cables, satellites and railroads also would be affected…
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Bedard noted that Pry, Cooper, and former CIA Director James Woolsey have been pushing Washington to prepare the nation’s electric grid for an EMP, either from the sun or a nuclear weapon. Bedard added:
They want the 2,000-3,000 transformers in the grid protected with a high-tech metal box and spares ready to rebuild the system. Woolsey said knocking out just 20 would shut down electricity to parts of the nation “for a long time.”
Regrettably, not many in Washington seem to be listening.
Sounds like the beginning of one of those post-apocalyptic novels if you ask me.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Bedard, Paul. “Massive solar flare narrowly misses Earth, EMP disaster barely avoided.” Washington Examiner. 31 July 2013. (http://washingtonexaminer.com/massive-solar-flare-narrowly-misses-earth-emp-disaster-barely-avoided/article/2533727). 1 Aug. 2013.
2 Comments to Earth Barely Escapes Coronal Mass Ejection 2 Weeks Ago
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
12,096 Visits in July
466,424 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- The Coming Major Terrorist Attack On The U.S.
- General McInerney’s September 7 Mystery Book Revealed?
- Retired General And FOX News Analyst: ‘We May Even See On 9/11/14 MH370 Resurface Again’
- Former CIA Director: Islamic State Attack On U.S. ‘Will Come Probably Sooner Rather Than Later’
- Thoughts On Concealed-Carry Permits And Their Relation To ‘Falling’ Chicago Crime
- Reminder To Californians
- Quote For The Week
- Posting Resumes Next Week
- 2015 Old Farmer’s Almanac Predicts ‘Super-Cold’ Winter For Eastern Two-Thirds Of U.S.
- Signs Of The Time, Part 76
- Editor on General McInerney’s September 7 Mystery Book Revealed?
- Jason on General McInerney’s September 7 Mystery Book Revealed?
- Editor on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Nick Aragua on Islamic State Flag ‘Displayed’ Outside White House
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?