The 2013 Atlantic hurricane season began back on June 1. Since then, there have been 4 tropical storms- Andrea, Barry, Chantal, and Dorian. Only one- Andrea- made landfall in the United States.
Seeing that August is here- the month storm activity in the Atlantic traditionally picks up- will the 2013 hurricane season continue to be seemingly “slow”?
Senior Meteorologist Jon Erdman pointed out on The Weather Channel’s website yesterday:
We’re in early August now. How unusual is this wait to the season’s first Atlantic hurricane?
Answer: It’s typical.
The average date we see the first Atlantic hurricane is not until Aug. 10, according to the 1966-2009 average calculated by the National Hurricane Center.
Looking at the past three hurricane seasons (2010-2012), 27 of the 29 Atlantic hurricanes formed after July 31.
Only 2010′s Hurricane Alex and 2012′s strange Hurricane Chris jumped the climatological early August starting line.
The larger point here, is the lion’s share of the Atlantic hurricane season lies ahead!
Meteorologist Courtney Spamer reported on AccuWeather.com this morning:
The Atlantic Basin seems to have had a rather quiet start to tropical season this year, but not so much when compared to normal.
The average number of named storms through the beginning of August is between two and three, a number we have already reached thus far this season.
Looking ahead, storms will have the opportunity to ramp up during late August and early September. This is the average peak of tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic Basin when the biggest weakening factors will die down.
“The atmosphere in the tropical Atlantic will moisten up as this cloud of Saharan dust dissipates/heads west and climatology says shear will relax as well as we go through time. As these factors go away, the amount of systems will go up as well and it could go from not busy to very busy quickly,” [AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Mark] Paquette said.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
From what I gather, a Saharan dust plume containing dry air coupled with wind shear have been sucking the life out of storm development in the Atlantic Ocean this summer.
And for those of you who reside in potential impact areas of this type of severe weather, the National Weather Service’s National Hurricane Center has a web page full of information on hurricane preparedness. Visit “Hurricane Preparedness- Be Ready” here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Erdman, John. “Hurricane Season: Quiet or Typical Start?” The Weather Channel. 5 Aug. 2013. (http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/hurricane-season-atlantic-peak-ahead-20130805). 6 Aug. 2013.
Spamer, Courtney. “Atlantic Expected to See Sudden Uptick in Storms.” AccuWeather.com. 6 Aug. 2013. (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/atlantic-expected-to-see-sudde-1/16199045). 6 Aug. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
Happy Earth Day
- Go-To Gear For When The Lights Go Out
- Status Of West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System
- Chicago-Area Lakes Hit By Bad Fish Kill
- Chicago Gangs Completely Out Of Control?
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: The Great Northern Prepper’s ‘Prepper Resources’ Page
- JM Bullion 2014 Silver Eagle Special: $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity
- Gallup Poll: U.S. Adults Think Real Estate, Followed By Gold And Stocks, Is Best Long-Term Investment
- 31 Percent Of Chicago-Area Homeowners With Mortgages ‘Seriously Underwater’
- On TV: 10 Ways To End The World
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…