The 2013 Atlantic hurricane season began back on June 1. Since then, there have been 4 tropical storms- Andrea, Barry, Chantal, and Dorian. Only one- Andrea- made landfall in the United States.
Seeing that August is here- the month storm activity in the Atlantic traditionally picks up- will the 2013 hurricane season continue to be seemingly “slow”?
Senior Meteorologist Jon Erdman pointed out on The Weather Channel’s website yesterday:
We’re in early August now. How unusual is this wait to the season’s first Atlantic hurricane?
Answer: It’s typical.
The average date we see the first Atlantic hurricane is not until Aug. 10, according to the 1966-2009 average calculated by the National Hurricane Center.
Looking at the past three hurricane seasons (2010-2012), 27 of the 29 Atlantic hurricanes formed after July 31.
Only 2010′s Hurricane Alex and 2012′s strange Hurricane Chris jumped the climatological early August starting line.
The larger point here, is the lion’s share of the Atlantic hurricane season lies ahead!
Meteorologist Courtney Spamer reported on AccuWeather.com this morning:
The Atlantic Basin seems to have had a rather quiet start to tropical season this year, but not so much when compared to normal.
The average number of named storms through the beginning of August is between two and three, a number we have already reached thus far this season.
Looking ahead, storms will have the opportunity to ramp up during late August and early September. This is the average peak of tropical storms and hurricanes in the Atlantic Basin when the biggest weakening factors will die down.
“The atmosphere in the tropical Atlantic will moisten up as this cloud of Saharan dust dissipates/heads west and climatology says shear will relax as well as we go through time. As these factors go away, the amount of systems will go up as well and it could go from not busy to very busy quickly,” [AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Mark] Paquette said.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
From what I gather, a Saharan dust plume containing dry air coupled with wind shear have been sucking the life out of storm development in the Atlantic Ocean this summer.
And for those of you who reside in potential impact areas of this type of severe weather, the National Weather Service’s National Hurricane Center has a web page full of information on hurricane preparedness. Visit “Hurricane Preparedness- Be Ready” here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Erdman, John. “Hurricane Season: Quiet or Typical Start?” The Weather Channel. 5 Aug. 2013. (http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/hurricane-season-atlantic-peak-ahead-20130805). 6 Aug. 2013.
Spamer, Courtney. “Atlantic Expected to See Sudden Uptick in Storms.” AccuWeather.com. 6 Aug. 2013. (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/atlantic-expected-to-see-sudde-1/16199045). 6 Aug. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana