This morning, I talked about a reminder as to why I chose to move out of the City of Chicago.
I encountered another reminder as well as to why I’m putting together an emergency water supply.
Gregory Trotter reported on the Chicago Tribune website early Monday evening about a “boil-water order” in effect in nearby Deerfield. From the article:
The Village of Deerfield has issued an order for all residents to boil their water before drinking it after finding fecal coliform in the village water supply today, according to a village news release.
Deerfield water department employees are investigating the problem, the release said, and will run 10 tests over the next 24 hours to determine when the water is safe to drink again without boiling. Fecal coliform is a bacteria that indicates the water was contaminated with human or animal waste, which can cause illness, the release said…
Fecal coliform contamination can cause diarrhea, headaches, nausea, cramps and other symptoms, the release said. It’s particularly dangerous for infants, young children and people with compromised immune systems.
Trotter added in a follow-up piece just before lunch today:
Deerfield residents remain under a boil water order until Wednesday afternoon after the fecal coliform bacteria was discovered in the water on Monday, village officials said today.
Village employees are conducting a series of 10 tests today to try to pinpoint the cause, said Andrew Lichterman, Deerfield’s assistant to the village manager. But the boil order will remain in effect until Wednesday afternoon, following Environmental Protection Agency guidelines that stipulate a 48-hour period from the official notice of contamination, Lichterman said.
I’ll bet you a number of Deerfield residents are probably wishing they had some emergency water supplies tucked away instead of having to boil/purchase water for drinking and other needs for these three days.
Notice that the boil-water advisory took place in what’s relatively nice weather and conditions around the Chicagoland area. No man-made or natural disaster, no SHTF, no TEOTWAWKI.
Yet the municipality’s water supply is unfit for human consumption.
By the way, for those readers not familiar with Deerfield, Illinois, it’s a pretty nice area up along Chicago’s wealthy North Shore.
Haters and ignoramuses take note. Preparedness doesn’t have to be about getting ready for “doomsday.”
In many instances, it’s about making sure the essentials (water, in this case) are taken care of when unforeseen emergencies (contaminated water supply) inevitably arise.
But enough about Deerfield for today. Check out the new emergency water supply preps:
Pictured are that second Moeller Scepter 5-gallon water container and a two-pack of 3.5-gallon WaterBrick containers (talked about in Part 15) that I had previously ordered and which all arrived last week.
The WaterBricks are really sweet. While I haven’t gotten around to cleaning them out and filling them up with water yet, they appear and feel rugged and stack very nicely upon matching up the “grooves.” To give you an idea of just how well they seem to be constructed, they actually have “supports” built inside of them (presumably to strengthen the containers upon stacking?).
The next tasks for me as it concerns this emergency water supply is to purchase some cases of bottled water and to read about how the experts correctly-prepare water for long-term storage in these containers.
Look for a follow-up post soon.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Trotter, Gregory. “Deerfield residents told to boil water after fecal coliform detected in water supply.” Chicago Tribune. 12 Aug. 2013. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/highland_park_deerfield/chi-deerfield-boil-water-fecal-coliform-20130812,0,5056303.story). 13 Aug. 2013.
Trotter, Gregory. “After bacteria detected, boil water order in Deerfield will remain until Wednesday.” Chicago Tribune. 13 Aug. 2013. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/suburbs/highland_park_deerfield/chi-deerfield-boil-water-fecal-coliform-20130813,0,5121840.story). 13 Aug. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
Happy Earth Day
- Go-To Gear For When The Lights Go Out
- Status Of West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System
- Chicago-Area Lakes Hit By Bad Fish Kill
- Chicago Gangs Completely Out Of Control?
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: The Great Northern Prepper’s ‘Prepper Resources’ Page
- JM Bullion 2014 Silver Eagle Special: $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity
- Gallup Poll: U.S. Adults Think Real Estate, Followed By Gold And Stocks, Is Best Long-Term Investment
- 31 Percent Of Chicago-Area Homeowners With Mortgages ‘Seriously Underwater’
- On TV: 10 Ways To End The World
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…