BofA Merrill Lynch’s MacNeil Curry Looks For Gold To ‘Move Up To About The 1,410, Potentially 1,450 Area’
“Gold has traded so badly the last few months, that it’s starting to look good to some chart watchers.
‘GOLD BEARS BEWARE,’ Merrill Lynch technical strategist MacNeil Curry told clients on Thursday. He warned against piling on to gold’s demise at current levels, because his reading of the charts suggest the downtrend may be in its final stages.”
-MoneyBeat blog, Wall Street Journal website, June 27, 2013
MacNeil Curry, the head of Global Technical Strategy at BofA Merrill Lynch, talked about where he thinks gold might be heading on the CNBC show Futures Now this afternoon. He told host Jackie DeAngelis by phone:
Well, I think there’s a couple of things of gold that say this thing is probably still headed higher. First and foremost, if you go back, if you look at what we did back in mid-June, the trend was so overextended if you look at a variety of trend indicators, we were at levels from which historically, whether it was an uptrend or a downtrend, you saw a significant reversal to the tune of about 30 percent from the level from which it tends to reverse. So the 1,180 area in spot price, and the reversal we’ve seen subsequent to that, is pretty consistent with historical norms in terms of the trend got way too overstretched, if you look at the measure of weekly ADX. For example, we had reached levels at which this trend got way too stretched like a rubber band. And now we’re snapping back.
The two things that say this thing is probably going to head higher. First and foremost, the rest of the precious complex is now starting to confirm the price action in gold. If you look at silver, if you look at platinum, if you look at palladium- those things are starting to rally as well.
So it suggests that this is something more than a short squeeze in gold.
And the other thing I think is worth noting is, with respect to, if you look at where a lot of these positions had been unwinding, they had been transpiring in GLD. If you look at the shares outstanding in GLD, you can see that that is starting to stabilize, which suggests that some of the rampant selling or position unwinding which drove this market significantly lower has subsided, at least for the time being.
So I think at this stage in the game, you probably still have further upside.
And we’ve been looking for a move up to about the 1,410, potentially 1,450 area. Maybe even there we start to see signs of stalling. But I certainly wouldn’t be stepping in front of this thing in a year.
MacNeil Curry segment starts 5:07
Back on September 12, 2012, Curry told CNBC’s Worldwide Exchange that with regards to the long-term:
We will be focusing in on gold. Ultimately we think gold can trade between $3,000 and $5,000 an ounce going forward.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
(Editor’s note: I am not responsible for any personal liability, loss, or risk incurred as a consequence of the use and application, either directly or indirectly, of any information presented herein)
Barnato, Katy. “Gold Prices Could Peak at $5,000: Bank of America.” CNBC.com. 21 Sep. 2012. (http://www.cnbc.com/id/49119240). 15 Aug. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana