BofA Merrill Lynch’s MacNeil Curry Looks For Gold To ‘Move Up To About The 1,410, Potentially 1,450 Area’
“Gold has traded so badly the last few months, that it’s starting to look good to some chart watchers.
‘GOLD BEARS BEWARE,’ Merrill Lynch technical strategist MacNeil Curry told clients on Thursday. He warned against piling on to gold’s demise at current levels, because his reading of the charts suggest the downtrend may be in its final stages.”
-MoneyBeat blog, Wall Street Journal website, June 27, 2013
MacNeil Curry, the head of Global Technical Strategy at BofA Merrill Lynch, talked about where he thinks gold might be heading on the CNBC show Futures Now this afternoon. He told host Jackie DeAngelis by phone:
Well, I think there’s a couple of things of gold that say this thing is probably still headed higher. First and foremost, if you go back, if you look at what we did back in mid-June, the trend was so overextended if you look at a variety of trend indicators, we were at levels from which historically, whether it was an uptrend or a downtrend, you saw a significant reversal to the tune of about 30 percent from the level from which it tends to reverse. So the 1,180 area in spot price, and the reversal we’ve seen subsequent to that, is pretty consistent with historical norms in terms of the trend got way too overstretched, if you look at the measure of weekly ADX. For example, we had reached levels at which this trend got way too stretched like a rubber band. And now we’re snapping back.
The two things that say this thing is probably going to head higher. First and foremost, the rest of the precious complex is now starting to confirm the price action in gold. If you look at silver, if you look at platinum, if you look at palladium- those things are starting to rally as well.
So it suggests that this is something more than a short squeeze in gold.
And the other thing I think is worth noting is, with respect to, if you look at where a lot of these positions had been unwinding, they had been transpiring in GLD. If you look at the shares outstanding in GLD, you can see that that is starting to stabilize, which suggests that some of the rampant selling or position unwinding which drove this market significantly lower has subsided, at least for the time being.
So I think at this stage in the game, you probably still have further upside.
And we’ve been looking for a move up to about the 1,410, potentially 1,450 area. Maybe even there we start to see signs of stalling. But I certainly wouldn’t be stepping in front of this thing in a year.
MacNeil Curry segment starts 5:07
Back on September 12, 2012, Curry told CNBC’s Worldwide Exchange that with regards to the long-term:
We will be focusing in on gold. Ultimately we think gold can trade between $3,000 and $5,000 an ounce going forward.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
(Editor’s note: I am not responsible for any personal liability, loss, or risk incurred as a consequence of the use and application, either directly or indirectly, of any information presented herein)
Barnato, Katy. “Gold Prices Could Peak at $5,000: Bank of America.” CNBC.com. 21 Sep. 2012. (http://www.cnbc.com/id/49119240). 15 Aug. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: Slickguns.com
- Signs Of The Time, Part 72
- November Jobs Report ‘Rather Sucked’?
- Retired CPD Sergeant And TouchVision Crime Reporter Calls Out Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel And Pals
- Welfare Recipient: ‘Can You Really Blame Us? I Mean, I Get To Sit Home, I Get To Go Visit My Friends All Day, I Even Get To Smoke Weed’
- Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Jim Rogers: ‘The Whole World Is Going To Collapse’
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?