While there’s no shortage of Chicagoland politicians these days denouncing what they see as a gun problem here, the truth is, Chicago- and Illinois for that matter- has a major gang problem.
I blogged back on March 19:
Consider the following from the website of Chicago Crime Commission, an independent, non-partisan, civic watchdog organization of business leaders dedicated to educating the public about the dangers of organized criminal activity, especially organized crime and street gangs. Talking about their recent publication, The Gang Book 2012, a comprehensive compilation of data and information concerning street gangs in the Chicagoland area, the Commission said:
There are an estimated 70 to 100 gangs in the Chicago metropolitan area with a membership of between 68,000 to over 150,000.
Back on March 2, 2011, I blogged about DEA and local law enforcement estimates of there being over 100,000 gang members and 75 to 100 street gangs in the Chicago metropolitan area.
Like I said in the intro of this post- gang violence is not just a Chicago-area problem. U.S. Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL) pointed out in a phone interview with the Chicago Sun-Times that appeared on their website on March 15, 2013:
Illinois is number one per capita in gang membership for population. We have more gang members in our state, it is a long-term economic threat to our future.
Apparently, Chicago now has a higher rate of gang membership per capita than Los Angeles. The state of Illinois has a higher rate of gang membership (8-11 gang members per 1,000 population) than California (5-7 gang members per 1,000 population).
But getting back to the Illinois senator. Earlier this week, a press release from his office noted:
In July, Senator Kirk‘s initiative to curb gang violence was approved by the Senate Appropriations Committee as part of the Commerce, Justice and Science (CJS) Appropriations bill.
If enacted, the legislation would provide $19.5 million for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) and its law enforcement agencies with directives to locate, arrest, prosecute and convict members of “Gangs of National Significance.”
As part of that effort, $7.52 million in new funding would be directed toward the U.S. Marshals Service to operate anti-gang investigate units to increase law enforcement’s ability to identify, locate and arrest violent gang fugitives, and increase the Marshals Services’ anti-gang training and operations. The U.S. Marshals Service Great Lakes Regional Fugitive Task Force is based in Illinois, with a variety of local law enforcement agencies participating. The DuPage County Sheriff currently has two deputies detailed to the task force.
An additional $12 million would be provided to the Violent Gang and Gun Crime Reduction Grant Program, which is also known as Project Safe Neighborhoods. This effort would more than double the current funding for the anti-gang effort spearheaded by local United States Attorneys…
The legislation would also direct $100 million in additional funding to the ATF, so that the agency can employ 160 more agents and enhance enforcement of firearms laws.
Federal funds to fight the gang problem? I can’t see too many people having a beef with that.
But regarding the ATF, the August 19 press release also said:
U.S. Senator Mark Kirk (R-Ill.) today called on the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) to appoint a Chicago-based anti-gang coordinator for Illinois.
“A Chicago-based anti-gang coordinator for Illinois”
Hmm. Reading the popular Chicago police blog Second City Cop yesterday, I get the impression rank-and-file Chicago Police Department officers might not be so hot on adding another chief to the mix as things stand right now. SCC wrote:
And his push for “federal….coordinator(s)” reeks of touchy-feely left-wing nonsense solutions.
What’s that old saying?
“Too many chiefs, and not enough Indians”
I wonder if that isn’t the situation here with the CPD and their lingering manpower shortage.
You can read the entire press release from Senator Kirk’s office here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
SCC. “Senator Kirk is So Street!” Second City Cop. 20 Aug. 2013. (http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/2013/08/senator-kirk-is-so-street.html). 21 Aug 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- IEMA: First-Ever America’s PrepareAthon! To Be Held On April 30
- Go-To Gear For When The Lights Go Out
- Status Of West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System
- Chicago-Area Lakes Hit By Bad Fish Kill
- Chicago Gangs Completely Out Of Control?
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: The Great Northern Prepper’s ‘Prepper Resources’ Page
- JM Bullion 2014 Silver Eagle Special: $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity
- Gallup Poll: U.S. Adults Think Real Estate, Followed By Gold And Stocks, Is Best Long-Term Investment
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…