Gun rights advocates scored a significant, if not somewhat expected, victory in Chicago yesterday. Renita Young reported on the Reuters website last night:
Chicago on Wednesday reluctantly abolished a 45-year-old requirement that gun owners register their weapons with the city, marking a victory for advocates of gun rights such as the National Rifle Association.
The city council voted to end the gun registry in place since 1968 to comply with court rulings against Chicago and Illinois gun control laws, and to bring the city into line with a state concealed carry law…
Illinois approved a concealed carry law in July, giving control of gun regulations to the state and essentially nullifying Chicago’s power to require that gun owners register their weapons and have a city firearms permit.
The measures approved by a voice vote on Wednesday complied with the new state law. In addition to eliminating the gun registry, the measures eliminated the requirement for gun owners to have a Chicago firearm permit.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Ah yes, the notorious CFP. First, the City of Chicago required firearms kept within city limits to be registered. Then, on July 12, 2010, Chicago residents were required to obtain a Chicago Firearms Permit before they could register a firearm. Once all the initial costs were taken into account- $100 CFP application fee, $15 per firearm registration fee, around $100 for required, state-approved firearm training/safety class- Chicagoans who wanted to legally keep at least one gun in the city easily shelled-out over $200 to start.
Mind you, that doesn’t even include the cost of the firearm.
I have a pretty good idea what many pro-Second Amendment Chicagoans are thinking about the infamous gun registry and newer CFP having been eliminated.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Young, Renita. “Chicago abolishes gun registry in place since 1968.” Reuters. 11 Sep. 2013. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/11/us-usa-guns-chicago-idUSBRE98A15220130911). 12 Sep. 2013.
1 Comment to Chicago Ends Gun Registration, Firearms Permit Requirements
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas