Gun rights advocates scored a significant, if not somewhat expected, victory in Chicago yesterday. Renita Young reported on the Reuters website last night:
Chicago on Wednesday reluctantly abolished a 45-year-old requirement that gun owners register their weapons with the city, marking a victory for advocates of gun rights such as the National Rifle Association.
The city council voted to end the gun registry in place since 1968 to comply with court rulings against Chicago and Illinois gun control laws, and to bring the city into line with a state concealed carry law…
Illinois approved a concealed carry law in July, giving control of gun regulations to the state and essentially nullifying Chicago’s power to require that gun owners register their weapons and have a city firearms permit.
The measures approved by a voice vote on Wednesday complied with the new state law. In addition to eliminating the gun registry, the measures eliminated the requirement for gun owners to have a Chicago firearm permit.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
Ah yes, the notorious CFP. First, the City of Chicago required firearms kept within city limits to be registered. Then, on July 12, 2010, Chicago residents were required to obtain a Chicago Firearms Permit before they could register a firearm. Once all the initial costs were taken into account- $100 CFP application fee, $15 per firearm registration fee, around $100 for required, state-approved firearm training/safety class- Chicagoans who wanted to legally keep at least one gun in the city easily shelled-out over $200 to start.
Mind you, that doesn’t even include the cost of the firearm.
I have a pretty good idea what many pro-Second Amendment Chicagoans are thinking about the infamous gun registry and newer CFP having been eliminated.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Young, Renita. “Chicago abolishes gun registry in place since 1968.” Reuters. 11 Sep. 2013. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/11/us-usa-guns-chicago-idUSBRE98A15220130911). 12 Sep. 2013.
1 Comment to Chicago Ends Gun Registration, Firearms Permit Requirements
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: Slickguns.com
- Signs Of The Time, Part 72
- November Jobs Report ‘Rather Sucked’?
- Retired CPD Sergeant And TouchVision Crime Reporter Calls Out Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel And Pals
- Welfare Recipient: ‘Can You Really Blame Us? I Mean, I Get To Sit Home, I Get To Go Visit My Friends All Day, I Even Get To Smoke Weed’
- Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?