There’s bad news out concerning violent and property crime rates nationwide. From a Bureau of Justice Statistics press release Thursday:
WASHINGTON – Violent and property crime rates rose for U.S. residents in 2012, the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) announced today. These estimates are based on data from the annual National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) which has collected information from victims of crime age 12 or older since 1973.
The violent crime rate (which includes rape or sexual assault, robbery, aggravated and simple assault) rose from 22.6 victimizations per 1,000 persons in 2011 to 26.1 in 2012. Crime not reported to police and simple assault accounted for the majority of this increase. Violent victimizations not reported to police increased from 10.8 per 1,000 persons in 2011 to 14.0 in 2012, and simple assault rates rose from 15.4 to 18.2 per 1,000. The rate of violent crime reported to police did not change significantly from 2011 to 2012.
The rate of property crime (which includes burglary, theft and motor vehicle theft) increased from 138.7 per 1,000 households in 2011 to 155.8 in 2012, primarily due to an increase in theft. The rate of theft victimization increased from 104.2 per 1,000 households in 2011 to 120.9 in 2012.
In 2012, 44 percent of violent victimizations and 54 percent of serious violent victimizations were reported to police. These percentages were not statistically different from 2011. The percentage of property victimizations reported to police declined from 37 percent in 2011 to 34 percent in 2012.
According to the press release for the previous year’s NCVS, between 2010 and 2011 the rate of violent victimization increased 17 percent, from 19.3 to 22.5 victimizations per 1,000 persons age 12 or older. The rate of total property crime increased 11 percent, from 125.4 to 138.7 victimizations per 1,000 households. Household burglary also increased 14 percent, from 25.8 to 29.4 victimizations per 1,000 households.
Pete Yost of the Associated Press pointed out yesterday on the ABC News website:
Crime rates had been declining since 1993, with an uptick in 2006 the only exception. From 1993 to 2011, the rate of violent crime declined by 72 percent.
You can read the entire BJS press release for the 2012 NCVS on their website here.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Yost, Pete. “Survey Marks 2nd Year of Crime Increases.” Associated Press. 24 Oct. 2013. (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/survey-marks-2nd-year-crime-increases-20669881). 25 Oct. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- More Convicts To Be Released Early Nationwide
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy Keeps Pushing For More Gun ‘Control’ Laws
- Project Prepper, Part 27: Transferring Pre-Owned Gear, Supplies To The New Everyday Carry Bag
- Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- IEMA: First-Ever America’s PrepareAthon! To Be Held On April 30
- Go-To Gear For When The Lights Go Out
- Status Of West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System
- Chicago-Area Lakes Hit By Bad Fish Kill
- Chicago Gangs Completely Out Of Control?
- Quote For The Week
- peter G on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…