The past couple of articles I’ve read that mentioned major earthquakes and California seemed to imply that the state was somewhat ready for such an event. I understand “The Golden State” has improved its earthquake readiness and response capabilities over time. However, I get the feeling there’s some complacency going around, with a lot more work still needing to be done.
Here’s what one earthquake expert- the “Earthquake Lady”- had to say this week about the “Big One” striking the southern portion of the state. From the website of CBS Los Angeles affiliates Channel 2/Channel 9 last night:
A leading earthquake expert has issued a dire warning to Californians about the expected impact of a major disruption to the San Andreas fault line.
The title of Dr. Lucy Jones’ lecture this week to the American Geophysical Union in San Francisco was “Imagine America without Los Angeles”.
As KCAL9′s Dave Bryan reports, Jones, a Science Advisor for Risk Reduction at the U.S. Geological Survey, says when the “Big One” hits Southern California, the damage could be much greater, and could last much longer, than most of us ever imagined.
“Loss of shelter, loss of schools, loss of jobs and emotional hardship. We are risking the ends of our cities,” she said during the presentation…
“Expert Warns LA Isn’t Ready For Major Earthquake”
CBS Los Angeles Video
Now, a lot of comments on the piece are saying something along the lines of “can’t wait until L.A. slides off into the Pacific Ocean.”
I know they are either kidding or haven’t thought through such statements, as only a fool could think such wholesale destruction in Southern California wouldn’t have widespread repercussions for the rest of the nation.
Anyway, keep those earthquakes preparations going at full throttle, Californians. And visit The Great California Shakeout website- among other earthquake preparedness online resources- if you haven’t already.
After all, it’s only a matter of time before the “Big One” strikes.
By Christopher E. Hill
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
4 Comments to ‘Earthquake Lady’ Warns ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Peter Schiff: U.S. GDP Fell From 2.8 Percent In 2012 To 1.9 Percent In 2013
- U.S. Special Ops Chief Warns Of ‘Broader Threat’ From Al-Qaeda
- Republican Candidates For Illinois Governor Split On ‘Assault Weapons’ Ban?
- Quotes For The Week
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas