Earlier this year, a number of Illinois municipalities passed “assault weapon” bans.
One of these towns was Highland Park, on Chicago’s far North Shore. From a July 2 press release:
The Highland Park City Council passed an ordinance banning assault weapons within City-limits at the June 24 City Council Meeting, after hearing from many residents, interest groups and individuals offering perspective on all sides of the issue, in writing and in person. The ban, modeled after Cook County’s assault weapons ordinance, would amend Chapter 134 of the City Code. The ordinance was effective July 8, 2013. Residents have 90 days to comply with the provisions set within the ordinance…
Having worked closely with a number of Highland Park city hall staff some years back as the assistant to the mayor of a neighboring town, I remember thinking to myself, “I wonder if those guys are going to miss all that money that could be pissed away in the coming lawsuit.”
Fast forward to the other day, when the Associated Press reported the City of Highland Park is being sued for its new “assault weapons” ban. From the website of Chicago ABC affiliate Channel 7 on December 20:
A gun rights group has filed its first lawsuit against one of the Illinois communities that rushed to pass an assault weapons ban before a state law allowed people to carry concealed weapons in public, and the group strongly hinted Friday that the lawsuit will not be its last.
“I am not at liberty to talk about (other possible lawsuits), but let’s just say we’re always working,” said Richard Pearson, the executive director of the Illinois State Rifle Association, which joined the lawsuit filed by a Highland Park pediatrician against the well-to-do community north of Chicago. “We are going after them wherever they are.”
In the lawsuit, the rifle association and Dr. Arie Friedman, a pediatrician and owner of semi-automatic weapons, contend that that Highland Park, where Friedman lives, did not have a legal right to ban the weapons that he says he keeps for the lawful purposes of target shooting and self-defense.
Further, the lawsuit suggests that by lumping in the kinds of semi-automatic weapons Friedman owns with fully automatic assault weapons, the ban infringes on the rights of people to possess one of the most commonly owned “sporting rifles” in the United States.
“Ownership of firearms that are commonly possessed by law-abiding citizens for lawful purposes … is a fundamental right under the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution,” according to the lawsuit…
Legal representatives for the City claim the ban passes constitutional muster.
Obviously, that’s not up to them to decide anymore.
In the meantime, I’m guessing legal fees for time and work spent on the issue will add up while other Illinois towns that enacted regulations/bans on these so-called “assault weapons” nervously monitor how the lawsuit plays out for the Lake County community.
By Christopher E. Hill
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
“Illinois city sued over assault weapons ban.” Associated Press. 20 Dec. 2013. (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/illinois&id=9368350). 23 Dec. 2013.
2 Comments to Highland Park, Illinois, Sued For Banning ‘Assault Weapons’
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Project Prepper, Part 27: Transferring Pre-Owned Gear, Supplies To The New Everyday Carry Bag
- Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- IEMA: First-Ever America’s PrepareAthon! To Be Held On April 30
- Go-To Gear For When The Lights Go Out
- Status Of West Coast Earthquake Early Warning System
- Chicago-Area Lakes Hit By Bad Fish Kill
- Chicago Gangs Completely Out Of Control?
- Quote For The Week
- Resource Of The Week: The Great Northern Prepper’s ‘Prepper Resources’ Page
- JM Bullion 2014 Silver Eagle Special: $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…