This weekend, I heard the H1N1 “swine” flu is back. In a big way.
For those of you who aren’t familiar with H1N1, from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services website Flu.gov:
H1N1 is a flu virus. When it was first detected in 2009, it was called “swine flu” because the virus was similar to those found in pigs.
The H1N1 virus is currently a seasonal flu virus found in humans.
Okay, let’s dive in. I heard H1N1 mentioned for the first time this winter in the Chicago-area news the other day. From the website of Chicago CBS affiliate Channel 2 on Friday:
A strain of the swine flu is rapidly spreading throughout the Chicago area.
More than 20 of the H1N1 cases have been detected at Loyola University Medical Center in recent days, including five on Christmas Eve.
Now, CBS 2 has learned, another 41 cases have turned up at the University of Chicago Medical Center. Doctors say there have been eight cases in just the week before Christmas…
But it’s not just the Chicagoland area that’s experiencing a jump in H1N1 cases. From the health website WebMD last Thursday:
This year’s flu season may be off to a slow start nationwide, but infection rates are spiking in the south-central United States, where five deaths have already been reported in Texas.
And the predominant strain of flu so far has been H1N1 “swine” flu, which triggered the pandemic flu in 2009, federal health officials said Thursday.
“That may change, but right now most of the flu is H1N1,” said Dr. Michael Young, a medical officer with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s influenza division. “It’s the same H1N1 we have been seeing the past couple of years and that we really started to see in 2009 during the pandemic.”
States reporting increasing levels of flu activity include Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, he said…
Here’s something interesting that you may not know about H1N1. From the WebMD piece:
Young noted that H1N1 flu is different from other types of flu because it tends to strike younger adults harder than older adults…
“This year, because it’s an H1N1 season so far, we are seeing more infections in younger adults,” Young said…
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has the following posted on their website regarding seasonal influenza:
Flu activity is increasing nationally and is high in some states. Additional increases are expected in the coming weeks. If you have not gotten your flu vaccination yet this season, you should get one now.
By Christopher E. Hill
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
“H1N1 Presence Grows In Chicago.” Channel 2. 27 Dec. 2013. (http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/12/27/h1n1-presence-grows-in-chicago/). 29 Dec. 2013.
Reinberg, Steven. “H1N1 Flu Spreading in South-Central U.S.” HealthDay. 26 Dec. 2013. (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20131226/h1n1-flu-spreading-in-south-central-us). 29 Dec. 2013.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Peter Schiff Predicts Gold Going Higher Than $5,000 An Ounce
- Illinois Policy Institute: ‘Illinois Is Exporting Its Higher-Income Earners’
- Project Prepper, Part 26: The Everyday Carry (EDC) Bag
- Casting Call For FOX TV Show ‘UTOPIA’
- ‘Doomsday Preppers’ Season 4 In The Works
- Michael Bloomberg And Heavenly Hubris
- Shocking: Illinois ‘Pole Tax’ Fails To Bring In Projected Revenue
- Surviving A Nuclear Attack On Washington, D.C.
- While Ebola Grabs The Headlines, Coronavirus Makes A Comeback In The Middle East
- Food Insurance Having Buy One, Get One 60% Off Bug-Out Essentials Sale
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…