Good news for the city of Chicago- murders stayed under the 500-mark in 2013. Jeremy Gorner reported on the Chicago Tribune website last night:
Homicides dropped 18 percent in Chicago last year and crime overall was down 16 percent, according to statistics released by the police department this morning.
The decline in homicides was a more modest 5 percent when compared with 2011. The department reported 435 homicides in 2011, 503 in 2012 and 415 in 2013…
Chicago has surpassed 500 murders twice in the last five years. In 2008, under Mayor Richard M. Daley, the number of homicides reached 513, declining to 460 in 2009, 437 in 2010, and 435 in 2011 before jumping to 503 in the first full year of Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s administration.
Gorner also added in his piece:
Shootings across the city dropped by 24 percent from 2012 and 16 percent from 2011, according to the department’s numbers. Sexual assaults were down 6 percent from last year, robberies down 12 percent, serious battery down 16 percent, burglaries down 22 percent, motor vehicle thefts down 23 percent, thefts down 3 percent.
The reductions came at a price: Nearly $100 million in overtime pay, triple what was budgeted for 2013…
“Nearly $100 million in overtime pay”
Unsustainable, especially when you consider the City of Chicago’s growing financial woes.
As for the City’s rosy crime statistics- there’s talk the reported numbers don’t reflect the reality of Chicago’s criminal activity.
Personally, the news on the crime front is encouraging. But I’m going to take it with a grain of salt.
By Christopher E. Hill
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Gorner, Jeremy. “Chicago police: Crime down 16 percent, homicides down 18 percent.” Chicago Tribune. 1 Jan. 2014. (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-chicago-police-crime-down-16-percent-homicides-down-18-percent-20140101,0,3868242.story). 2 Jan. 2014.
No comments yet.
Leave a comment
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
11,976 Visits in June
454,328 Visits from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Final Vote Next Tuesday On Niles, Illinois, Gun Store And Range
- Does Robert Shiller See ‘Froth’ In U.S. Housing And Stocks?
- USGS Updates National Seismic Hazard Maps
- Downtown Chicago Could Receive Resilient Electric Grid
- Peter Schiff On Gold: ‘We’re Going To Have A Big Rally Probably Beginning Here In The Second Half Of 2014’
- Detroit Police Chief: ‘Good Detroiters Are Armed And Will Use That Weapon’
- Chicago Train Passengers Robbed At Gunpoint
- Jim Rogers: Some Currencies, Real Assets Could Shine When Coming Bust Arrives
- Illinois Governor Pushes Ban On ‘Assault Weapons,’ ‘High-Capacity’ Ammo Magazines
- Chicago’s Gun ‘Control’ Fetish Costing City Big Bucks
- Editor on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Derek @ MoneyAhoy.com on 82 Shot, 14 Killed In Chicago Over Long July 4 Weekend
- Editor on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- tj & the bear on Dick Cheney Warns Of Massive Terrorist Attack On U.S. Before Decade Is Out
- Editor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Bill Taylor on U.S. Senator Michelle Obama (D-IL)?
- Not Prepared: 17 Signs That Most Americans Will Be Wiped Out By The Coming Economic Collapse | All Self-Sustained on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana
- Editor on Video: SHTF In Venezuela
- tj & the bear on Deadly MERS Virus Lands In Chicago, Discovered In Indiana