“Gold corrected 47 percent from 1974-1976, before rising more than eight times to $887 per ounce in 1980. A steep correction is normal before the parabolic move… Holding gold is a bet against central banks competency and given their track record that is certainly a bet I’d be happy to still take.”
-Albert Edwards, Societe Generale strategist, in a weekly strategy report from April 25, 2013
Albert Edwards, a strategist over at French banking and financial services company Societe Generale, is making the financial headlines today. Ben Eisen wrote in The Tell blog on the MarketWatch website this morning:
This just in: Societe Generale Strategist Albert Edwards sees a massive market crash on the horizon.
The S&P 500 index will tumble to 450. Investors will bid up haven assets like gold, which will climb seven-fold, and the 10-year Treasury note, whose yield will fall below 1%, he writes in his latest note to clients.
Gold will climb seven-fold? Exactly how high does Edwards see the yellow metal going? From the headline of Eisen’s post:
“Gold will climb to $10,000 when the correction comes, says SocGen’s Edwards”
Eisen also noted that Edwards making a gold price call of $10,000 isn’t exactly news. From the piece:
Ok, so maybe it’s a given that SocGen’s biggest permabear is still, well, a bear. He made the same call back in April, and he’s had the S&P target of 450 as far back as 2010.
Jenny Cosgrave reported on the CNBC website back on April 25:
Gold prices will top $10,000 per ounce, the stock market will tank and Treasurys will yield less than 1 percent, Societe Generale’s Albert Edwards forecast in a trademark bearish report on Thursday…
Edwards advised investors to take refuge in gold, and added that gold’s current fall-off was still in sync with his ultra-bullish outlook on the precious metal.
$10,000 gold. Hmm.
So why should anyone take what this investment strategist is repeating seriously?
Well, back in 2011 Reuters did credit Edwards for successfully-predicting the Asian financial crisis of 1997-98 and U.S. housing bust, while there were plenty of his colleagues around who saw neither.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (www.survivalandprosperity.com)
(Editor’s note: I am not responsible for any personal liability, loss, or risk incurred as a consequence of the use and application, either directly or indirectly, of any information presented herein)
Eisen, Ben. “Gold will climb to $10,000 when the correction comes, says SocGen’s Edwards.” The Tell. 30 Aug. 2013. (http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2013/08/30/gold-will-climb-to-10000-when-the-correction-comes-says-socgens-edwards/). 30 Aug. 2013.
Cosgrave, Jenny. “Warning! Stocks to Crash, Gold to Top $10,000: Albert Edwards.” CNBC. 25 Apr. 2013. (http://www.cnbc.com/id/100672709). 30 Aug. 2013.
Brettell, Karen. “From Ice Age to hyper-inflation with SocGen bear.” Reuters. 18 Aug. 2011. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/18/us-edwards-socgen-idUSTRE77H31320110818). 30 Aug. 2013.
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
355,845 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Missing ABC7 I-Team Info About Illinois Concealed Carry Security Breach
- Quote For The Week
- Record Net Worth Result Of Fed Blowing Bubbles In Housing, Stocks?
- Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy On IL Concealed Carry Licenses: ‘Stand By And Watch What Happens’
- How Prepping Saved Many Alsatian Jews From the Nazis
- Moody’s Downgrades Chicago’s Credit Rating Again, Issues Negative Outlook
- HSBC: China, Not Investment Demand From West, Now Steering Gold Prices
- The Civic Federation Proposes Plan For Achieving Long-Term Fiscal Sustainability In Illinois
- Illinois Gun Owners To March, Lobby In State Capital Tomorrow
- Expert: Southern California Megaquake Possible, Economic Loss Could Exceed $200 Billion
- Editor on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Fred H on Can 4-Methylcyclohexane Methanol Be Filtered From Contaminated West Virginia Water?
- Kurt A on Free Online Survival Training Summit Starts Monday
- My Info on Chicago Named A Top ‘Hellhole’ In America
- Editor on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- Prep Mister on On TV: Doomsday Preppers ‘The Time of Reckoning’ Review
- james on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Rob Dawg on JM Bullion Presale Of 2014 American Silver Eagles
- Editor on Peter Schiff: ‘The Fundamentals For Gold Have Never Been Better Than They Are Now’
- Editor on Merry Christmas