Nothing new about the highly-publicized “assault weapons” ban bill that’s supposed to be coming from U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA). But another gun “control” bill focusing on “high-capacity” ammunition magazines appears to be on the verge of being introduced in Congress. Lucy Madison reported on the CBS News website yesterday:
As lawmakers return to Capitol Hill today to kick off the start of the 113th Congress, Democrats are already priming for a renewed battle over gun control, announcing the introduction of a bill banning high-capacity ammunition magazines before the first House session had been gaveled in.
The High Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act, which is being introduced by Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., and is co-sponsored by Diana DeGette, D-Colo., would ban the sale or transfer of ammunition magazines holding more than 10 rounds…
“These assault magazines help put the ‘mass’ in ‘mass shooting’ and anything we can do to stop their proliferation will save lives in America,” said McCarthy in a statement. “These devices are used to kill as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time possible and we owe it to innocent Americans everywhere to keep them out of the hands of dangerous people. We don’t even allow hunters to use them – something’s deeply wrong if we’re protecting game more than we’re protecting innocent human beings.”
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
In 2004, a research report submitted by the Jerry Lee Center of Criminology, University of Pennsylvania, to the United States Department of Justice and the National Institute of Justice found no statistically-significant evidence that the decade-long bans on “assault weapons” and ammunition magazines holding more than 10 rounds that began in 1994 had reduced firearm-related murders. From “An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003” in June 2004:
Because the ban has not yet reduced the use of LCMs in crime, we cannot clearly credit the ban with any of the nation’s recent drop in gun violence.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
With LCM’s being “large-capacity” magazines.
To be fair, the report also noted:
However, the ban’s exemption of millions of pre-ban AWs and LCMs ensured that the effects of the law would occur only gradually. Those effects are still unfolding and may not be fully felt for several years into the future, particularly if foreign, pre-ban LCMs continue to be imported into the U.S. in large numbers.
Yet, common-sense dictates the bad guys will just bring more “low-capacity” magazines along with them when performing their dirty deeds. As I said on New Year’s Eve:
Call me crazy, but something tells me the bad guys won’t be hindered by either of these proposed bans. In fact, in the event the criminals are ever short “hi-cap” mags, don’t be surprised to hear tales of them mastering super-fast magazine changes on the “low-capacity” ones they brought along in more numbers.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (http://www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Madison, Lucy. “House Dems introduce new gun control bill.” CBS News. 3 Jan. 2013. (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_162-57561852-10391739/house-dems-introduce-new-gun-control-bill/). 4. Jan. 2013.
Koper, Christopher S., Roth, Jeffrey A., and Woods, Daniel J. “An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003.” Jerry Lee Center of Criminology, University of Pennsylvania. June 2004. (http://www.sas.upenn.edu/jerrylee/research/aw_final2004.pdf). 4 Jan. 2013.
In the wake of the Colorado movie theater shootings, some high-profile Democrats are pushing legislation for more gun “control.”
Colleagues in hotly-contested districts and party strategists may very well be pulling their hair out, as the last thing they probably want is for the electorate to strongly-equate the Democratic Party with gun “control” in these 98 days left until the November election.
1994 redux, anyone?
From Lauren Fox on the U.S. News & World Report website Monday:
New York Democrat Sen. Chuck Schumer has some back up in his fight for gun control legislation he wants to attach to a cyber-security bill making its way through the Senate this week.
New Jersey Democratic Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Bob Menendez, California Democratic Sens. Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, and Rhode Island Sen. Jack Reed are also expected to be vocal over one of the first legislative responses to the Aurora, Colorado shooting, which left 12 dead and injured nearly 60…
Schumer has offered an amendment that would limit the type of high-capacity gun magazines consumers could purchase.
The amendment bans drums, gun magazines and feed strips that can fire off more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The only exclusion is .22 caliber rimfire ammunition, which is a much smaller bullet.
Fox brought up another piece of gun “control” legislation being pushed by Democrats on the national stage. From the article:
New York Democratic Rep. Carolyn McCarthy and Lautenberg announced the “Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act” Monday, legislation that would ban internet sales of ammunition and require licensed dealers to report suspicious purchases of 1,000 rounds of ammunition or more.
At lunchtime today, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn, a Chicago Democrat, proposed a statewide ban on what he calls “assault weapons” and “high-capacity” ammunition magazines. From the Associated Press:
Gov. Pat Quinn on Tuesday proposed a statewide ban on assault weapons, a move that would face big hurdles in Illinois despite renewed nationwide debate over the issue.
The Chicago Democrat used his amendatory veto power to call for changes in a bill related to in-state ammunition sales.
“Banning assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines will make Illinois a safer place to live,” he said in a letter to members of the General Assembly. “There is no place in the State of Illinois for weapons designed to rapidly fire at human targets at close range.”
No word yet if Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has anything to add.
Fox, Lauren. “Democratic Senators Look to Tighten Gun Control in Two Separate Bills.” U.S. News & World Report. 30 July 2012. (http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2012/07/30/-democratic-senators-look-to-tighten-gun-control-in-two-separate-bills). 31 July 2012.
“Gov. Quinn to propose Illinois assault weapons ban.” Associated Press. 31 July 2012. (http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/illinois&id=8756283). 31 July 2012.
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
Translate- Wait Up To 1 Minute Per Page To Complete
- Resource Of The Week: The Great Northern Prepper’s ‘Prepper Resources’ Page
- JM Bullion 2014 Silver Eagle Special: $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity
- Gallup Poll: U.S. Adults Think Real Estate, Followed By Gold And Stocks, Is Best Long-Term Investment
- 31 Percent Of Chicago-Area Homeowners With Mortgages ‘Seriously Underwater’
- On TV: 10 Ways To End The World
- Peter Schiff Predicts Gold Going Higher Than $5,000 An Ounce
- Illinois Policy Institute: ‘Illinois Is Exporting Its Higher-Income Earners’
- Project Prepper, Part 26: The Everyday Carry (EDC) Bag
- Casting Call For FOX TV Show ‘UTOPIA’
- ‘Doomsday Preppers’ Season 4 In The Works
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…