Red Shed Media Group
Looks like the National Geographic Channel is having a Doomsday Preppers marathon today. The episodes scheduled to be shown Friday are “remixed” versions of season 1 episodes (what they call “Bugged Out”) and episodes from season 2 that have already aired. Doomsday Preppers makes for interesting and entertaining viewing, but there’s more to “prepping” than just being an acolyte of the popular reality TV show. For anyone wanting to read what I think is a fair and balanced depiction of the “Prepper Movement” in America in 2012, I just got finished reviewing a lengthy piece from The New York Times website entitled “How to Survive Societal Collapse in Suburbia.”
New York Times fair and balanced? Yep. At least in this case.
Keith O’Brien wrote a week ago in the “Magazine” section:
Not everyone at the expo was a fan of “Doomsday Preppers.” Terry Browning, a 41-year-old Army veteran, said the show unfairly depicts people like him as “militant psychos.” “Half the people here are probably not even thinking about the bunker underground or the 10,000 rounds of ammo — stuff like that,” he told me. “Most of these people just want to be safe in their homes with enough supplies to get them through whatever may be.”
In other words, they’re a lot like Linda Thrower, a home-health nurse from New Mexico. She and her husband, Troy, started prepping only recently, and they hesitated to even attend the expo. “We didn’t want to be inundated with a bunch of way-out-there radical followers,” she told me. Yet once inside, she was pleased with what she found. Yes, there was ammunition for sale and classes to help people obtain concealed-weapons permits. But Thrower, 59, left the expo that weekend with canned cheese, baking supplies for her Sun Oven and some practice in emergency suturing, the subject of one of the expo’s many seminars. “I think that’s a good thing for me, as a nurse, to be able to do,” she said. “Because if we have a disaster, whether it’s natural or man-made, there’s not going to be enough doctors.”
It’s a real good read, which can be found on the Times’ website here.
Preparedness Radio Network (PRN) is owned by Red Shed Media Group and offers live broadcast shows and downloadable podcasts revolving around self-reliance topics. From their “About Preparedness Radio Network” page:
The Preparedness Radio Network is the largest live online preparedness community on the internet! This eclectic group of dedicated professionals, experts, authors, and practitioners volunteer their precious time on the Preparedness Radio Network in an effort to share their knowledge, skills, talents, and abilities with those willing to listen and learn about getting prepared or becoming better prepared for the uncertain future. It doesn’t matter what causes your need to be prepared, one of our hosts will have the answer to guide you to a solution that fits your problem.
With more than 2 dozen show hosts and more than 30 hours of live shows each week, Preparedness Radio Network broadcasts more than hours of preparedness information for survivalists, preppers, self-reliant, and urban and ex-urban homesteaders than any other channel or network. Anyone with a computer can listen to live shows and make comments and ask questions in the Chat Room. Any live show can be accessed by phone by calling the Network’s number for every show: (347) 326-9604. All live and podcast (repeat) shows are available by download via computer, Skype, cell phone, iTunes, iPod, or Android.
According to the PRN home page:
Preparedness Radio Network, established May 2010, is the vision of James T. Stevens (aka “Dr. Prepper”), whose book “Making the Best of Basics – Family Preparedness Handbook” has sold more than 750,000 copies worldwide. His mantra, “If you are properly prepared you need not fear!” is the driving force behind PRN. Red Shed Media Group purchased PRN in December 2011…
PRN currently hosts over 42 self-reliance type shows every week, offering a wide range of expert information on pertinent reliance topics. Show topics include gardening, health, homesteading, preparedness, self-reliant living, survival, and much more. PRN’s most popular shows include Doom and Bloom, Equip 2 Endure, and Backwoods Home Magazine’s (BHM) – Self Reliance Expozed.
Information overload anyone? You can access PRN at their website here.
(Editor’s note: Link added to “Resources” page)
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
87,086 Unique Visitors in 2013
360,266 Unique Visitors from
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- Resource Of The Week: The Great Northern Prepper’s ‘Prepper Resources’ Page
- JM Bullion 2014 Silver Eagle Special: $2.45 Over Spot Any Quantity
- Gallup Poll: U.S. Adults Think Real Estate, Followed By Gold And Stocks, Is Best Long-Term Investment
- 31 Percent Of Chicago-Area Homeowners With Mortgages ‘Seriously Underwater’
- On TV: 10 Ways To End The World
- Peter Schiff Predicts Gold Going Higher Than $5,000 An Ounce
- Illinois Policy Institute: ‘Illinois Is Exporting Its Higher-Income Earners’
- Project Prepper, Part 26: The Everyday Carry (EDC) Bag
- Casting Call For FOX TV Show ‘UTOPIA’
- ‘Doomsday Preppers’ Season 4 In The Works
- Cei mai multi dintre noi nu sintem pregatiti pentru situatia economica cataclismica care va veni. Putem face ceva sau vom fi victime sigure? | Lupul Dacic on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- The nation of America is folding up under divine chastisement | on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Editor on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- Erric on Springfield, Illinois, Named America’s 3rd Most Dangerous City
- GLOBAL IMPLOSION AND WHY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND JUST LIED TO THE ENTIRE WORLD | sreaves32 on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Guest Post: 16 Signs That Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | 2012: What's the 'real' truth? on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- A Pocketful of Mumbles | OccurrencesDomesticForeign on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- Michael Snyder ~ Most Americans Are Not Prepared For The Coming Economic Collapse | Shift Frequency on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…
- 16 Signs That Most Americans Are NOT PREPARED For The Coming Economic Collapse | Olduvaiblog on The Percentage Of Adult Americans That Own Investment Gold Is…