I happened to stumble on an interesting TV news segment this afternoon on preppers in Oregon. Wesleigh Ogle for CBS affiliate KCBY-TV in North Bend, Oregon, had this to report on December 27:
I’m really glad that Avery found his “prepper’s paradise.” It looks beautiful- and full of resources- out there in the Northwest.
On Christmas Day, I also came across an article about active military preppers on the UPI website. From the Deep South:
We evidently dodged the Mayan end-of-the-world bullet, but so-called preppers in the United States say they’ll stay prepared nonetheless.
Navy Times reported last week people such as Gunnery Sgt. David Williams of Gulfport, Miss., who are part of the preppers movement — people who say they intend to be prepared for whatever calamities befall us — don’t care if you think they’re crazy. They just take comfort in their stockpiles of food, water, weapons and other vital supplies.
“A lot of the guys in my unit think I’m crazy. I’ll push the zombie apocalypse and the whole 2012 end-of-the-world business. I don’t really believe any of that crap, but it makes it fun,” Williams, a member of a Navy Seabee construction unit who has served in Afghanistan, told the newspaper. “When you’re planning for the zombie apocalypse, you’re still planning.
“Survival really is a community effort. If you’re just one dude or one family living in a bunker, what are you living for? What’s the point? What are [you] trying to stick around for? You might as well go out with everybody else because there isn’t going to be anything when you climb out of your hole.”
Williams — who has served as an instructor at the Marine Corps’ Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, Calif., and has been a survival, evasion, resistance and escape instructor — has written the Survivology 101 blog for the past three years.
“If we all die together, we all die together,” Williams said. “But if we make it through, we become a strong community and we rebuild. It may not be the diehard survival mentality, but there has to be something to live for, too. You have to have something more than yourself; otherwise, you’re a sociopath and probably don’t need to be living anyway.”
Like with a lot of things in life, preppers seem to come in all shapes and sizes.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (http://www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Ogle, Wesleigh. “Meet a true Oregon ‘prepper.’” CBS North Bend, OR. 27 Dec. 2012. (http://www.kcby.com/news/local/Meet-a-true-Oregon-prepper-184991621.html). 31 Dec. 2012.
“Preppers’ prepare for the worst.” UPI. 25 Dec. 2012. (http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/12/25/Preppers-prepare-for-the-worst/UPI-73881356422400/). 31 Dec. 2012.
Please Rate this Blog HERE
5,782 People Visited Last Month
307,026 Visited 11/22/10-5/31/13
- Jim Rogers: Chinese Stocks Are ‘Getting Closer To A Buy’
- Illinois Concealed-Carry Latest: Attorney General Lisa Madigan Asks For Second Extension Of Deadline
- Bloody Father’s Day Weekend In Chicago: 8 Killed, 39 Others Wounded By Gunfire
- Quote For The Week
- Lloyd’s Of London Releases Chilling Report On Solar Storm Risk To North American Electric Grid
- Illinois State Rifle Association’s Synopsis Of Illinois Concealed-Carry Bill
- Jim Rogers: Chinese Yuan Could Appreciate 500 Percent In Next 20 To 30 Years
- World’s Largest Active Bond Manager Predicts More Than 60 Percent Chance Of Global Recession In Next 3 To 5 Years
- Wisconsin Bill Would Bar Local, State Cops From Enforcing Unconstitutional Federal Gun ‘Control’ Measures
- Mayor Rahm Emanuel Won’t Say No To Property Tax Hike To Bailout Chicago Public Schools
- Editor on Seen On The Streets, Part 8
- Neil Trout on Seen On The Streets, Part 8
- Editor on Quote For The Week
- Randy on Quote For The Week
- Editor on RSS Feed Setting Changed
- anonymous on RSS Feed Setting Changed
- Editor on A Lesson For Preppers From ‘The Twilight Zone’
- zooeyhall on A Lesson For Preppers From ‘The Twilight Zone’
- Editor on Quote For The Week
- Editor on Chicago Reporter Goes Off Anti-Gun Reservation