Yesterday, I heard about a Boston Herald piece in which Boston Mayor Thomas Menino said Vice President Joe “Just Get Out Of The Way” Biden told him President Barack Obama would implement more gun “control” by the end of January. Dave Wedge reported on the Herald website yesterday:
Vice President Joe Biden “guaranteed” Mayor Thomas M. Menino — a leading national gun control advocate — that President Obama will pass sweeping firearms reforms by the end of the month, the mayor said today.
“He said, ‘Tommy, I guarantee you, we’ll get it done by the end of January,’” Menino said at City Hall today. “They’re going to get it done.”
Wedge added later:
Menino added that the president has “no excuse not to pass strong (gun reform) legislation,” since he is in his last term and doesn’t have to worry about angering pro-gun voters or the National Rifle Association.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
The words “more flexibility” come to mind here.
No word as to where Mayor Menino’s armed security detail was at when he shared this information.
Biden, a gun owner, was tasked by President Obama back on December 18 to lead an informal task force on firearm-related violence and set a January deadline for recommendations.
Americans may remember the Boston mayor from a gun “control” TV commercial that appeared during last year’s Super Bowl.
Then again, if you were like me at past Super Bowl parties, maybe you don’t.
By Christopher E. Hill, Editor
Survival And Prosperity (http://www.survivalandprosperity.com)
Wedge, Dave. “Menino: Veep promised him fast action on gun control.” Boston Herald. 3 Jan. 2013. (http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/01/menino_veep_promised_him_fast_action_gun_control). 4 Jan. 2013.
Illinois Governor Pat Quinn (D) has weighed-in on Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s desire for state lawmakers to approve a statewide handgun registry. According to the Gibson City, Illinois-based WGCY News blog this morning:
Gov. Pat Quinn says he’s ready to listen to the debate over proposed legislation that would require handgun owners statewide to register their weapons…
Quinn says it’s up to lawmakers to decide. “I think it’s important to have the legislature address the issue, you know, and give their wisdom,” Quinn said.
While Mayor Emanuel is targeting handguns, Governor Quinn has his sights set on so-called “assault weapons.” WGCY reported:
Quinn says there are other gun-related matters the state must focus on, such as creating a ban on assault weapons. “Those are things that I think the people of Illinois, by a wide margin, favor and we should keep an eye on those issues,” Quinn said.
(Editor’s note: Italics added for emphasis)
As I noted in late January, three anti-gun bills (House Bills 1294, 1599, and 1855) passed on January 24 in the state’s House Rules Committee and could be voted on at anytime. According to a January 25 alert from the National Rifle Association’s Institute for Legislative Action, House Bill 1294 “seeks to ban countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns, many parts for them, as well as .50 caliber rifles and ammunition.” House Bill 1599 “would classify countless semi-automatic handguns, rifles, and shotguns as ‘semi-automatic assault weapons,’ and would classify as ‘high capacity ammunition’ any ‘ammunition of .50 or more caliber.’
Coupled with that Super Bowl gun control ad featuring Boston’s Democratic Mayor Thomas Menino (along with New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg), one has to wonder if the Democrats have now decided to venture onto that third rail of American politics- gun control- in this crucial election year.
“Putting Football Rivalries Aside, Mayors Unite Against Illegal Guns”
WGCY Newsroom. “Quinn To Hear Debate Over Handgun Registration Law.” WGCYNews.blogspot.com. 10 Feb. 2012. (http://wgcynews.blogspot.com/2012/02/quinn-to-hear-debate-over-handgun.html). 10 Feb. 2012.
Christopher E. Hill, Editor
7,633 Unique Visitors 11/13
339,902 Unique Visitors
Please Rate this Blog HERE
- ‘Earthquake Lady’ Warns ‘Imagine America Without Los Angeles’
- Chicago Aldermen Push For Styrofoam, Polystyrene Food Container Ban
- Solar Scientist: July 2012 Coronal Mass Ejection And 1859 Carrington Event Show Need To Prepare
- Project Prepper, Part 23: Removing That Military Surplus Smell
- Chicago-Area Forest Preserves: Use With Caution
- Is This What A Prepper Expo Is Really Like?
- Chicago-Area Winter Survival Training Camp Planned For This Weekend
- RedEye: Chicago Passes 400 Murder Mark
- Peter Schiff Predicts Effect On Consumers When Bond, Stock, And Real Estate Bubbles Pop
- Repeal Of Illinois ‘Temporary’ Income Tax Hikes Questioned
- Chad Fulton on Gun Registration Often Leads To Confiscation, As New Yorkers Find Out Once More
- Rob Dawg on 15 Fukushima-Style Nuclear Power Plants Located In New Madrid Fault Zone
- Rob Dawg on Peter Schiff Predicts More QE In 2014 Will Prevent Stock Bear Market
- Editor on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- Rob Dawg on Cyber Monday Sales That Might Interest You
- The Man on ‘Mancow’ Moves Family Out Of ‘Unlivable’ Chicago
- Editor on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Editor on Time To Bug Out?
- Miranda Horton on Illinois State Police Gun Ranges Open To Deer Hunters November 16 For Test-Firing Shotguns
- Ivan on Time To Bug Out?